Lady Bird and Shoal Creek
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Fishumms

Thread: Lady Bird and Shoal Creek

Lady Bird and Shoal Creek

Hey everyone. Been a long time since I have posted, but haven't had much to post. Haha. Anyway, here is my first bass of 2018 that I got on Lady Bird Lake and 2 more I got out of Shoal Creek. Both I got the same way, jigging all over the place, lol. I get most stuff on that pink grub in the pic, but I got a bunch of good hits on the little minnow looking lure. I was at the old power plant pond on the Long Horn dam side of the lake. I landed that one little and a lot of bluegill. I was there about 2 hours and stayed around the two sewer outlet things on the northern corner of the pool. The other two bass I landed doing the same thing in one of my favorite little holes on Shoal Creek. It is surprisingly far north up the creek, and sometimes it can have pretty good sized bass in it, but this year it seems to just be little ones for the time being. I landed a ton of green sunfish in there as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Will-Fish and trentflanders like this.

Nice. I've been having fun on shoal creek as well. I live off of 5th, and there is a section of shoal creek behind The Grove restaurant that has fish. I've been practicing with my fly rod setup in there. Lots of traditional sunfish, as well green sun fish. I can spot decent bass, but they are real skittish. Great spot to practice flipping, as well as if someone wants to bring out kiddos.

Started bank fishing yesterday at the mouth of shoal creek and Lady bird lake. No luck, but lots of gar can carp...so likely keeping the bait fish away. I spotted some good bass sitting near the bank feeding on bait fish as I moved along the shore.

Congrats on your first 2018 bass! Just keep that second one on and throw it back out as a lure

4. Remove Advertisements
    AustinBassFishing.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by gapaman View Post
    Nice. I've been having fun on shoal creek as well. I live off of 5th, and there is a section of shoal creek behind The Grove restaurant that has fish. I've been practicing with my fly rod setup in there. Lots of traditional sunfish, as well green sun fish. I can spot decent bass, but they are real skittish. Great spot to practice flipping, as well as if someone wants to bring out kiddos.

Started bank fishing yesterday at the mouth of shoal creek and Lady bird lake. No luck, but lots of gar can carp...so likely keeping the bait fish away. I spotted some good bass sitting near the bank feeding on bait fish as I moved along the shore.

I've heard that between 5-6th is a pocket with 1-2lbers. I've landed a lot of the Texas cichlids in a pocket I think just south of 9th street. Theres like a spot where the trail goes across the creek then it goes along a concrete wall and there is a long section with deep water.

I feel like I never have luck at the mouth there, haha. But maybe I'll give carp fishing a try over there. Just picked up some hair rigs.

Quote Originally Posted by Badavis86 View Post
    Congrats on your first 2018 bass! Just keep that second one on and throw it back out as a lure

Thanks! I actually landed a few since then, two of ok size at the "Contigo pond" I think it's called the Southwest Greenway pond near Muller like shopping center/ housing complex they are building and eternally expanding over there off airpot.

I can spot them. They are in there. There is also a pocket beneath the 2nd street bridge that is holding some fish. I was out today before the rain came, and I could spot them.

Here's a few more from Town Lake while I was waiting for traffic to die down yesterday. Fished for about 20 mins, a way better way to kill time then sitting in traffic. Landed a bass, some greens, a bluegill, and a bunch of pretty longear.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like you are having a lot of fun. I fished Shoal Creek just north of the Library and down to the little pool right before it hits Lady Bird last Sunday, no action in the creek itself. Did see a lot of blue gills under Ceasar Chavez. The pond area had lots of fish, including some large carp, but no action on T-rigged lizards, worms and some drop shot robo worms.

JT

Those are excellent pictures of your fish. Is that a phone camera ?
    Pro Wrestling is real Mr Anderson.

Sponsored Links