P-ville Pond Pfish
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Page 1 of 39 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree321Likes

Thread: P-ville Pond Pfish

P-ville Pond Pfish

I was beside the water at 7:30 this morning. Started getting strikes right away at the west end. Caught two dinks on the Zoom 5" green pumpkin finesse worm Carolina rigged. Moved around the pond counter-clockwise due to southwest wind. Used up both green pumpkin worms I had, so I tried motor oil and purple for naught. Now its time to pull down Christmas lights off the house.IMG_20140104_084250_475.jpgIMG_20140104_085250_455.jpg

IMG_20140112_174345_678.jpgI made it back to the pond this evening at dusk. Light drizzle was ending as I approached the west bank where the bass usually are cooperative. The pattern established quickly catching three dinks on the first five casts of the CR watermelon lizard. Cast out 15' and right about 8' out they strike. The moon is now shining bright through breaks in clouds and I moved to the north bank in search of larger fish.

I see a teen-aged angler on the opposite bank. I look up again and he's loading out to his parents pick-up, before I can ask how he did. I met him before last summer and like the rest of us, he's hooked on fishing.

I make a few more futile casts and call it good.
    michang5 and Pop N Cork like this.

TFTR! It sounds almost like it was written completely in haiku.

4. Remove Advertisements
    AustinBassFishing.com
    Advertisements

Greetings michang5.

I write the words but,
    Fishing defies description.
    Hooked is the report!

Driving home from a honey-do chore, I saw a road-runner cross FM 685 in front of Star Ranch. I took that as a good omen, so I headed to the little honey-hole down the street. I pulled a muscle in my back yesterday, and the wife ordered rest. Despite suffering drop-to-my-knees spasms, I caught three dinks.

The true pattern at this pond is park the car, walk to west bank, catch three on the first dozen casts, then spend the next hour circling the pond with no strikes.

That is what has happened the last 5 or 6 times I've been. Last summer, I caught bass from every spot on the shore. Now it's only on the west side. Seems fishy...
    IMG_20140119_143258_735.jpg
    Last edited by Jeremy; 01-19-2014 at 02:53 PM. Reason: add picture
    michang5 and Pop N Cork like this.

I got home from work in time to dash over to the pond for an hour's worth. First two casts went into a tree but the third landed in the water and caught a fish. The fourth cast wrapped the branch and I lost my green pumpkin worm. I ran to the car and grabbed my back-up rod rigged with watermelon lizard. I made three casts with watermelon lizard before going back to the green pumpkin finesse worm. True to the pattern (described in previous post), I landed two more dinks within the next dozen casts.

I worked over to the North side and I could see dimpling and surfacing fish, but I guess I need to bring a floater/diver. I throw the Carolina rig to them for fifteen minutes for nothing.

I go back to the Ornamental Hook Tree where I caught the first fish. I'm determined to break the "three and out" curse of this pond. I pitch the worm under the branches into the mouth of the storm drain that feeds this pond. I always tell myself to retrieve slow and if I think I'm retrieving too slow, slow down even more. I inch the worm across the ditch, almost holding my breath. Bam! Fish on! The "three and out" spell is broken by a 1+!
    IMG_20140120_173447_705.jpgIMG_20140120_181058_293.jpg
    SkeeterLance and Pop N Cork like this.

Nice!!

Russ

I got home from work and the wife could see it in my eyes. Yesterday, I had crashed through the glass ceiling of the Fate's imposed three fish limit, by catching four. I knew today would be a fish on ev-er-y cast. "Go fish," she said. Five minutes later I'm on the West bank.

As I made my first cast, I noticed the line not quite laying right on the spinning reel's spool. I quickly reeled in and I catapulted the CR Zoom green pumpkin finesse worm as far as I could and then walked up the bank to strip even more line. This is where boating anglers definitely have an advantage because they can troll their line to remove twist. So I'm fiddling with twist and trying to tension the line by pinching it to the rod when a small bass tensioned it for me. He was a ways out, so I reeled furiously and then tragedy. While I was fiddling with the line, he had swallowed the hook. I cut the hook and did my best to revive him but he floated.

It was an accident and I felt bad but not bad enough to quit fishing. But did the Fates agree? I caught two more on the CR green pumpkin worm. I could see the fish working on top over on the South side like yesterday, but this time I came prepared. I tied on the Rapala floater/diver and threw it at all the splashing. I made ten casts and just when I was going to give up a small bass nailed it. Happy with my choice of lure, I quickly released the fish, angled up and fired my new best lure right into the top of a tree.

I set my lure box and my phone on the bank and climbed the tree. I got halfway up and thought that I should have left my hat on the ground as well. The branches were snapping and landing in the water below and I got within arm's length plus 12" from the snagged branch. I'll be back with a bow saw, tomorrow. I like to try to retrieve my lost lures. This past Christmas, I put on my neoprene waders and reacquired two of my spinner baits in thirty-five degree weather.

I ran to the car to get the back-up rod. The wife texts, "dinner is ready but you can stay and fish". How great is that? I run back to the bank and throw the CR for twenty minutes and nothing. Well, suffice to say the Fates have reestablished the glass ceiling at Four.
    IMG_20140121_173424_365.jpgIMG_20140121_170941_452.jpg
    lowbass and Pop N Cork like this.

"The true pattern at this pond is park the car, walk to west bank, catch three on the first dozen casts, then spend the next hour circling the pond with no strikes."

Start on the east bank and work the opposite direction. Works everytime.

Quote Originally Posted by gester View Post
    Start on the east bank and work the opposite direction. Works everytime.
    Driving home from work, I called the wife and told her I wanted to go fishing. She asked if I would meet her at our son's soccer practice to watch him play. Five minutes into practice she says to me,"You look bored, go fishing."

"Bye."

On a dare from gester, and due to the honking SE wind, I did park the car, walk to the east bank and throw a dozen casts for naught. As I worked along the north bank, I noticed the wind had removed the stain from the water. I switched from green pumpkin to the watermelon/chartreuse lizard and was rewarded with a small bass. The watermelon/chartreuse works great in the clear water.

There were plenty of short-strikes. I think the sunfish are tugging at the tail of the soft plastic.

I had to take a break from fishing to climb a tree. Yesterday, I promised to bring the bow saw and repossess my Rapala. I was ready for the dead branch to break and dump me in the water, but it held and I sawed through the wrapped branch. The limb dropped eight feet from the bank. I remembered a piece of nine-wire I had pulled off the bottom last month when I waded for my spinner bait. I fashioned a hook and snagged the limb and salvaged my lure.

I caught another little one and had a passing green-belt walker take my picture. Just like last night, another gorgeous sunset. Is it the barometric pressure or the government's aerial spraying? Whichever is still worth a picture.

IMG_20140122_172616_016.jpgIMG_20140122_173724_950.jpgIMG_20140122_180046_322.jpgIMG_20140122_180232_876.jpg
    michang5 likes this.

Is the pond you are talking about Mill's pond? I went out there once and got skunked.

Page 1 of 39 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links