Bass Fishing Forum banner

Newbie question

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  lorax 
#1 ·
Hi there,

I am new to the area and to fresh water fishing (more of surfcasting/shrimp/crab fishing kind of guy). Anyway sounds like I am overdue to get my son to fish ( 6 yo) as the place I usually fish back home are pretty unsafe for a person with a short attention span and an adventurous mind. With the weather still nice I was thinking of taking my son fishing, bluegill will must likely be the target. That being said I am venturing a little out of my comfort zone and was wondering if you guys could just confirm a few thing so that we get it right on our first time out.

As a 6 yo boy he can fish without a license ( but I cant and must pay for it) is my understanding.

a light rod , #8 or #10 barbless hook on a 6 lbs line should be good I believe with a very light bobber.

for bait worms should so would corn (used to use corn for trout as a kid not the best )

being in austin corner of Mopac/183, Muller park seems like a good choice but if I am not mistaken this is a catch and release only place. Bull frog in manor seems also a good possibility where he got to keep a fish or two and eat it at night.

Please let me know if I am out of base, in the mean time I am going to see and learn more about cat fishing and bass fishing sounds like more fun for dad once the little one is properly aware on how to fish if he keeps an interest for it.

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like you got it figured out. I would try Travis around some submerged brush or around some floating docks. Not sure about corn but when I was a kid we used raw bacon and caught thousands of big bluegill.

#5 ·
For what its worth, I havent seen a lot of bluegill or panfish at Mueller. I have never targeted them, but havent noticed very many when fishing for bass. It is surrounded by a nice park with facilities and a playground, however.

I checked out Bullfrog Pond when they did the trout stocking early in the year, and there seemed to be quite a few panfish in there as well. It was hard not to get them on the line when baiting for trout, so that might be a good option. They were holding right under the pier, so it would be easy for a kid to drop his line over. There are also 2 other ponds in that park to try out for bigger fish. I think at least one is supposed to be catch and release only.

Any of the baits suggested will probably work. Corn will probably go the furthest price-wise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.