Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Straight Braid vs Braid w/ leader

I like suffix 832. 20lb and 30lb. I use a 10 or 12lb Seaguard Fluro leader when jigging spoons. Typically I start with about a 4-5ft leader. I think it makes a difference in numbers.
    Last edited by BrandonA; 01-17-2012 at 02:10 PM.

Administrator
    I would throw the alabama rig comparison out the window. There are too many variables in the Alabama Rig to draw any kind of conclusion between it and the important of line size in finesse presentations. I also dare to wager that there are 100X more Alabama Rigs in the bottom of bass boats that have yet to catch a fish then those that have caught fish in tournament situations.

If you tie your joining knot correctly (improved albright or back to back uni) and trim the tag ends then the knot will "click" through the rod eyes but should not get hung up. I have just seen too many times when line size makes the difference in getting bites and not getting bites to say it doesn't matter.

IMO, this holds true for the lakes that have consistent fishing pressure on them due to bass tournaments, highland lakes, south Texas, etc. Usually lakes like Decker, Bastrop, Fayette, etc you can throw kite string and a shoe and put fish in the boat.

Straight Braid for me. Can't say that I have been outfished when with others that are using mono/flouro only. My issue is presentation of the lure. If you don't have that down you will miss fish no matter what line you are using. Like RO said, Tebow told me so.

Dez
    Finessing plastics and small cranks in very clear water I always use the flouro leader. I love braid as mainline and use it whenever possible. Won't work with micro-guide rods.

Administrator
    I think if you ask 10 different people to define fishing you will get 10 different answers and all ten of them are correct. However if your definition of the sport is fishing on the highland lakes in tournament situations and you argue that straight braid will produce as well as a fluro leader, then we are going to have to agree to disagree.

Dez
    Haha, you can't disagree with me this time, cause we're right!!

I fish for Honey Badgers. And honey badger don't give a shit what kind of line I have.

Personally I use a leader on my worming rods and keep 1 with a heavy weight and full flouro for when the crosswind is bad. I usually run 30 braid with a 12lb flouro leader. I'll be dropping the leader weight for this weekend to try and get more bites. And with a good knot at the leader it isnt that bad. I never hang. As stated above, it clicks right through. And I know that the extra distance of the braid casting far outways what the leader knot may take back. Every other rig I throw 100% flouro. I just think our water is clear enough to make a difference on pressured lakes. I fish more finesse so it works for me. I would love to go 100% braid but I think the bite % would go down. For me anyway. I'm not much for fishing fast yet but I'm working on it.

But now I heard a rumor that a club partner of mine throws full braid to his jigs and kills the fish. So go figure.
    J. Lewallen Allstate Insurance Agency. San Marcos Tx. 512-667-6464

sufix 832 is outstanding stuff. i remember my 1st cast with it. it was so smooth and quiet i had to look twice to see if line was going out. actually chuckled to myself. way better than powerpro. and the new nanofil is in a league by itself. that stuff casts 30% farther!

I have braid on my frog rod and I have it on a rod for heavy flipping, but I mainly use it for punching. Everything else is big game. I used fluro for about 3 months and I got tired of breaking fish off while fighting them and on hooksets. And it wasnt the knot, it was just breaking. And I would check it for abrasion. Never broke a fish off with big game and never noticed a difference of getting more bits on one vs. the other.

Clancy W

Ads