Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
+ Reply to Thread

Redneck Down Rigger Question

So I've been playing around with some ideas for an el cheapo down rigger system for my pond boat. I'm for sure going to try out the hell-pet-pet rig I found on this site, but I want to tow some different baits down deep. If I can work out the release I'm planning on using the butt section of my 14' carp rods with the bait runner reels to lower like an 8 oz bank sinker for my weight. I'm inherently cheap, so I'm going to make my own releases from either clothes pins or battery clips.

I do wonder what will happen if I was to troll a bait like a Rapala stick minnow that would normally run at 2-4 below the surface
    If I hang that thing on a down rigger will it then run 2-4 feet below the rigger weight?

Or will it be running higher because it's trying to float?

On a recent trip I made with Manny the Red Fish guide on Calaveras Lake he was using several different types of baits that are top water baits, but he put them on the down riggers and ran them at like 20 feet or lower. He claimed that those type baits caught bigger fish then the standard spoons and jig heads with trailers did.

We caught some real nice reds so I would say his theory works.

Advice appreciated...thanks.

Oh yeah, once I do figure out how to make releases that work from the battery clips that cost like a buck each, I'll share the info.
    Last edited by NjTexan; 08-26-2011 at 12:04 PM.
    Pro Wrestling is real Mr Anderson.

Should work but may be complicated. I have thought that using the Redi Release Floats may be a good alternative to down riggers, especially for drift fishing when the wind is up. Use a line counter, attached the float with a weight rigged Carolina style with 4 to 6 oz slip sinker then work baits slowly at depth.

Dez
    You're gonna need more like 2+lbs to get them down and keep em there at 2+mph. There will be alot of blow back with that too so you won't know exactly where the baits are running. In the hottest part of summer most fish will be around 30 and up so deep dancer and dd22 combos will get you on fish.

Wow...2 lbs?

I may get to experiment this weekend. The biggest single weight I have is 8 oz and I'm trolling with only an electric trolling motor.
    I'm hopeful that maybe the lures will work right on the next to lowest speed since I can run one battery for almost 5 hours on that speed.

I have to remember to take my car GPS and see ifin it will register what speed I'm going. I only have a cheap depth finder on the ole pond boat now.

I did find cheap releases thanks to turbobassman...Redi Rig - Instant Downriggers
    No idea right now if they will work on a separate line then the lure is running on, I just know I hate reeling up a bunch of tackle that gets tangled to take one white off the line. Assuming I can catch one that is.
    Pro Wrestling is real Mr Anderson.

I know the releases that BrandonA had and used last two weeks ago. There were like these..

Down Rigger Release Chamberlain Release

Ads