Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Live Bait

Question Live Bait

I primarely fish with artificials for both freshwater and saltwater. However, during the summertime, I have been known to fish with live bait.

What are your favorites for different fish?

Crappie: Live medium minnows hooked in the dorsal fin or thru eyesockets.

Speckled Trout/Flounder/redfish: Live finger mullet or Croaker or piggy fish. Free line with no weight or cork. Live shrimp under popping cork. Usually use a #6 treble hook.

Catfish: I use to jugline or trotline with live perch. Wonder how Green Sunfish would work? (Per TPWD, The green sunfish is a very versatile species, able to tolerate a wide range of environmental conditions, and tends to do very well when competition with other sunfish is minimal. They are hardy little fish, tolerates turbid water, high temperatures and low dissolved oxygen)I have hundreds in my creek beside the house. Prefer keeping Flathead or Yellow's.
    Catfishing with Green Perch Review: green sunfish or bluegill [Archive] - United States Catfish Association

Only once have I used Live shad and done very good on crappie, whites, hybrids and stripers. On Georgetown, I have caught all, except stripers (Not stocked in GT), on live shad. I once tried waterdogs on Fayette in the early 80's, but only caught catfish. Prefer artificials for LMB.

I have used Hellgrammites caught in the lampasses river for bass and catfish. (Back when I was a kid)

While searching for live bait on the internet, found this discusting photo (Not for the faint harded)
    FunMansion - Live Bait
    Last edited by Ranger_R77; 06-07-2011 at 10:05 AM.

RO
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger_R77 View Post
    I primarely fish with artificials for both freshwater and saltwater. However, during the summertime, I have been known to fish with live bait.

What are your favorites for different fish?

Crappie: Live medium minnows hooked in the dorsal fin or thru eyesockets.

Speckled Trout/Flounder/redfish: Live finger mullet or Croaker or piggy fish. Free line with no weight or cork. Live shrimp under popping cork. Usually use a #6 treble hook.

Catfish: I use to jugline or trotline with live perch. Wonder how Green Sunfish would work? I have hundreds in my creek beside the house. Prefer keeping Flathead or Yellow's.

Only once have I used Live shad and done very good on crappie, whites, hybrids and stripers. On Georgetown, I have caught all, except stripers (Not stocked in GT), on live shad. I once tried waterdogs on Fayette in the early 80's, but only caught catfish. Prefer artificials for LMB.

I have used Hellgrammites caught in the lampasses river for bass and catfish. (Back when I was a kid)

While searching for live bait on the internet, found this discusting photo (Not for the faint harded)
    FunMansion - Live Bait
    That chick is about to win the Darwin award for being shark bait. Only most sharks would prolly have better taste than to waste a bite on her. Pathetic attention seeker.

Back to reasonable thought, yes, your green sunfish will make perfect trotline or rod and reel flathead bait. Only this is not the best time of year to fish with them, as the O2 levels are poor in warm water and they will die on the hook in less than a day. If you seriously want to fish live perch on trotlines, the best times are Jan-Mar, when the perch (and catfish) will survive several days on the hook. Not the kindest treatment from the ethical standpoint, but at least not wasted meat like in summer. If you can run your lines every few hours, then not an issue.

Also, I've got a good supply of frozen shad in the freezer if you want to run lines for blues and channels. Let me know and they're yours for the taking.
    Last edited by RO; 06-06-2011 at 10:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RO View Post
    That chick is about to win the Darwin award for being shark bait. Only most sharks would prolly have better taste than to waste a bite on her. Pathetic attention seeker.

Please Lord don't let me ever find myself on a date with a chick who has done the hook in the back thing

Mother f?$$?@ what the Hell was she thinking. She should eaten by a shark.

Andy was asking if anyone had her #.

Ads