Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
+ Reply to Thread
    JTX

Very interested beginner, any tips will help!

Much like "avg-joe", I've been fishing Austin and the surrounding area for years and I can easily say that within the past 3 years I may have caught 5 or 6 fish (not including perch). I'm 20 years old and I love to fish but I guess I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to fishing. I looked up the closest lake to my house and found a place called Old Settlers Park, so I took a drive over after work and found the lake, fished it for about an hour to an hour and a half but no bites, just a ton of weeds. I was fishing what looked like to be a good clear spot between a large tree and a small pier but like I said, no bites. If anyone could please let me know what type of lures to use or techniques I'm obviously not doing correctly. I love fishing but hate that I haven't caught in several months. What kind of bait do bass as catfish like? I know that bass like artificial worms and I've been using a "Texas Style" rig for the artificial worms but how do I reel them in? I hear adding a pause to reeling in artificial worms work? And are catfish really bottom feeders? Sorry for the huge post but thanks again.

Administrator
    If your fishing a T-rig plastic you should be picking the bait up and letting it fall generally. Most worms are a finesse bait. If you want to get a better idea on how to fish them I would look jump on YouTube and search "finesse worm fishing", someone should have the technique on there.

If you really want to get better at bass fishing - join a club. Your learning curve will def take an exponential leap upwards. You can read lots about fishing, etx, etx, but sometimes getting a firsthand look at how people do certain stuff... can be just the ticket to get you started.
    Toads for breakfast=> lunch and dinner!!!

Supporting Vendor
    Yep, I agree with joining a club. That is where I started and don't get disappointed when the guy in the front of the boat is catching 20 or 30 fish and you aren't. Eventually they will tell you what to do or you just watch them for a while and will pick it up. Next thing you know you will have a $50K bassboat and dropping your girlfreinds so you can go fishing!!

Joining a club is a good idea. You also may try spinner baits, and rattle traps. These to baits are very easy to fish and catch fish. White/Charttruse is a good color for spinner baits and firetiger is a good color for rattle traps. Or any shad imitation.. Good luck and keep after it.

Best advice I can give you is fish as often as you can. Pick a few techniques and try to master them. Texas rigged plastics, weightless Senkos/flukes maybe a top water bait or two. Don't get too frustrated as some days you aren't going to get bit. I guess clubs are ok, i did it for a year and really didn't care for it or some of the people in that club. I would suggest if you go the club rout, they will usually let you guest fish once, take advantage of that and get an idea about the guys that are there.
    "There is only one thing wrong with a fishing day--its staggering brevity. If a man spent all his days fishing, life would seem to be a swift dream." Zane Grey

for bass-I think your best bet is go and buy a white spinnerbait or two and a chrome and blue rattle trap or two and just fish with those lures exclusively before you worry about learning how to worm fish. With those 2 lures, go to osp or wherever and just start walking the bank making long casts out into the lake and along parrallell to the bank in front of you if you can. With those lures, just cast them out and reel them in at a medium speed. Cover alot of ground and don't sit in one spot too long unless you catch a fish there. Don't expect the fish to come to you. if you see sticks, docks, or moss patches cast next to them since bass like to hang out near cover. Fish early in the morning or at the end of the day. When you worm fish, you are fishing on the bottom and you basically just slowly bounce the worm around on the bottom.

JTX
    Thanks a lot everyone, this is getting me really excited for Saturday when I'm gonna be a it again.

When work fishing, your best bet is to cast I out, and then let it sink to the bottom. Lift your rod tip up a few times then let it sink back down. Repeat until you get the bait back. As said before, a white/chart. Spinenrbait or two will help you cover water fast and find fish. For a lippless crankbait, I like a crome one with a black back. And as said before (and I can vouch for this) you can learn alot from joining a club.

Clancy W

Ads