Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
+ Reply to Thread
    JT

Best Color Fish Finder/GPS Unit in $1k Price Range?

Just wanted to get y'all opinions on color FF/GPS units in the $1000 +/- price range. *I bought a new (2004) Blue Wave 220 center console last Thursday and it needs a FF. *We live on Buchanan and my fishing includes includes a little bit of everything - stripers, whites, black bass and crappie. *I need something with enough power to work well in deeper water and be capable of distinguishing fish and baitfish from trees and structure. *Been looking at the Lowrance HD-7 with a lot of interest but would like to hear suggestions from others. *BTW, budget isn't limited to $1000, just using that as a starting point. *Thanks,

John *
    "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading." - Henny Youngman

Dez

Re: Best Color Fish Finder/GPS Unit in $1k Price Range?

I would look into the issues that the HDSs have and the customer service that Lowrance is so famous for before spending a grand with them. I'd look really close at a HB898 in that range...I have a 788 and reallly like it.

In my opinion the older Lowrance units work fine. I can pick out stripers and whites on Lake Buchanan using a LCX-27C, just fine..
    Example: http://cgi.ebay.com/Lowrance-LCX-27-...item3f02d210f1

Now I have not seen any of the new Lowrance units, so I cannot help you....I am price sensitive.

I only use on my boat a Eagle Color unit that is about 8 years old. My next one will be atleast a 7 inch screen Color LCD.

Here is a good article on using Humminbird LCD, looking for stripers.

http://www.humminbird.com/company/me...e.aspx?id=1382

JT

Thanks for your input guys, I hadn't heard of the problems with the newer Lowrance units. *Will also look at HB as I am not that familiar with their product line. *

Dez

I agree with Robert on the older Lowrance units, I used *Eagle and Lowrance for years with good luck but as I began comparing the new units I found the HDS unit to be very cool looking and they have every available function and the adjustablilty is awesome but a bit cumbersome to move about in the menues. I found the HB to be much more user friendly but that didn't sell me because of my experiance with Lowrance, what sold me was the reviews and articles I read about problems with the HDS units leaky screens and pixel loss and software issues. Even that didn't freak me out but when I heard about their customer servince issues and the fact that it may take weeks to get a response and they would not just exchange faulty units I started really looking hard at HB. Another issue is the Side and down imaging stuff. HB is sueing Lowrance over their Side scan. Don't know how it might play out but it could be bad for Lowrance, plus the add on module is $500.

I bought the 797NVB first. I liked it but with a 5" screen the side imaging wasn't very usable, the graph worked great though. I decided that I'd take it back and get the 788nvb with a larger screen and no side imaging for a couple of hundred less and have been very happy. HB has a website set up that you can ask questions on and they will post an answer within hours usually. I look at this site every few days and have learned alot from others questions.

Here are the issues I've had: * *The transducer mount is $20 piece of plastic and I've replaced it once and have a back-up in the boat. Also the trasducer is large and expensive on the *sidescan units and must be installed just right or it will lose bottom at speeds *over 30mph.

The NVB package is a good deal, covers every lake that i've ever been on and all of the coast, but they are 2006 maps and are not upgradable. Navionics is offering a rebate on the new maps though if you own the NVB.

The units will detect low voltge and cut off. This is a problem if you have it on your starting battery and a big motor as during start it can cut off and reboot. Put it on the TM batteries to solve this issue.

It's not as easy as they say to transfer a bunch of Lowrance waypoints to HB but the HB PC software is pretty good for managing the unit.

I'll be getting a 898 or maybe the new 900 series this spring...

Good advice given here. Like what Dez said.

Bearing in mind that I've been using Lowrance/Eagle for a couple decades and still do (Eagle 350C up front, Lowrance 520C at console), I'd seriously look at Humminbird if I was gonna spend significant bucks, for several reasons.

Firstly, HB has been doing the hi-def and side-scan technology for sometime, enough to get their act together and get the bugs out. Lowrance is new to the game and playing catch-up.

Secondly, the Marine Electronics mgr. at the Bass Pro Shop in Springfield echoed the above statement, and said that the number of returns of Lowrance HDS units to their store outnumbered the Humminbird returns. He'd be happy to sell me either one, of course... made him no never-mind.

Thirdly, I've had my "issues" with warranty service at Lowrance. Everyone on the phone was nice and all, but their work was dog-sh!t slow. If a unit less than a year old went out, they'd fix it at their own sweet time, it seems, before returning it. Slow enough that it was just simpler for me to get a new one if it was one of their units under 200$. Maybe that's what they'd prefer, but I think sending a new one to the customer would do wonders for their reputation. Which isn't too cool at the moment.

If I was outfitting a new boat without transducers already expoxied in the bilge and all wired up, as I said above I'd look seriously at HB.
    I've never killed a man, but I've read several obituaries with great satisfaction.

JT

Lots of great info here, I'll definitely be looking real close at the HB units. *My past experience with Lowrance/Eagle products has been good but this is with their older models. *The reports of bad *service from Lowrance makes me want to stay away from any of their newer stuff. *Thanks again y'all. * *

Ads