Crappie report with a white bass twist
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Like Tree6Likes
  • 5 Post By Agarita
  • 1 Post By kracka85

Thread: Crappie report with a white bass twist

Crappie report with a white bass twist

Until about 2 weeks ago, I was catching exclusively good size light colored crappie at my brush pile in Cypress Creek on Lake Travis. With only a few exceptions, they all contained eggs. The last 3 fishing trips, the crappie have been darker, smaller, and without eggs. Today, using a small yellow jig with crappie nibbles, I caught 5 of the smaller, darker variety and the bite stopped. I started playing around with changes in depth, drop rate, etc. As I was retrieving the jig from the bottom, I hooked what was obviously a fish that was bigger than the crappie I had been catching. Turns out it was a good size white bass. Just as I got it to the surface, 6 good size black bass appeared, and as a group, followed the white bass around as it was swimming in an effort to get away. Even after I got the white bass in the boat, the black bass stayed around for a few minutes. I realize that objects under water appear to be larger than they really are. However, I have caught enough dinks to know that, although they weren't giants, those I saw today were significantly over the 14 inch legal minimum.

I guess next time I go, I will take more than a crappie rig.
    "It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most adaptive to change." Charles Darwin

Thanks for the report!
    burnetbass likes this.

Largemouth LOVE the crappie.

4. Remove Advertisements
    AustinBassFishing.com
    Advertisements

TFTR! Still trying to locate the crappie below my dock...at other end of Travis at Barton Creek Lakeside boat slip. (Colorado Arm)

Went back this morning to try and catch the LMB I saw last week. Tried a wacky rigged Senko for about 1/2 hour without any takers. Got bored and dropped the Senko to an unknown depth and put the rod in a holder. Rigged up a crappie jig and started catching crappie. To my surprise, something grabbed the Senko and started moving with it. Grabbed the rod and hooked the fish briefly, but it came off. Threw the Senko back out and immediately, the LMB in the picture took it. The LMB is between 16 and 17 inches.

The LMB and all the crappie except one had eggs.

On another subject, the Rapala Lithium Ion fillet knife I gave myself for Christmas works ok on the crappie, but it struggled with the bass. I'm a bit disappointed with it.

IMG_20170420_113038.jpg
    "It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most adaptive to change." Charles Darwin

Thanks for the report, way to go. The Rapala ion fillet knife works good on crappie but not well on other species. If you want to sell the knife I'll take it off your hands.

The current price of the Rapala fillet knife seems to be around $80. I will sell if for 1/2 price: $40

That will work for me. Give me a call this weekend and I'll meet up with you.

Thanks

Sponsored Links