Reimers or Steps this Friday?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By PhishTales
  • 1 Post By PhishTales

Thread: Reimers or Steps this Friday?

Reimers or Steps this Friday?

Seems like the reports for both have been pretty inconsistent so far. Anyone been out the past few days or have advice based of previous years?

you can call sportsman's finest out on bee cave road, they usually have reports from people fishing out at reimer's. also sometimes the person who answers the phone at the park itself will have a recent report. there sure haven't been many postings on this website of people catching fish out at reimer's yet this season. the thing that worries me is the lake is over 100 percent full and that means the river will be fairly wide there at the beach. it will be hard to find the fish when there is that much water out there. I haven't been out there yet this year but I plan on taking a kayak when I do make it.

I am trying to decide on either Reimer's or Slab tomorrow...leaning towards the slab. Have heard a couple reports of limits at Reimers but they were in a boat and upstream from beach.

4. Remove Advertisements
    AustinBassFishing.com
    Advertisements

If your in a boat head up the Colorado ARM of LBJ and start graphing or troll in 15-20 FOW. If no boat hit the slab and walk downstream. The big whites will be deeper on LBJ, but the numbers will be shallow.

I went to Reimers last Sunday. Not a single bite. There were a couple other people out there and only one guy caught 2 small ones on a fly rod. Otherwise, it was dead. I called lady at gate today who said it has been getting busier, but she didn't know if the bite was on.

Thanks everyone. Went to the boat ramp area and caught 6 crappie and 7 Sandies.

IMG_20170311_095310.jpgIMG_20170311_094723.jpgIMG_20170311_094710.jpg

Went to Reimer's this morning. Kept delaying leaving the house because of the rain on the radar but did manage to get on the water by 9 am. It didn't end up raining much at all and turned out to be a very pleasant morning. I went upstream and to the opposite bank to fish in the deeper water. I caught one small male right off the bat just upstream from the beach, then nothing. So I paddled up above the rapids (which are not rapids at all due to the high water level) to the first big pool above the rapids and fished from the beach there and caught 3 more fish pretty quickly, including this one nice male about 12 inches. Nada after that. I moved around quite a bit trying to locate a group of fish but never did. Got back to the loading ramp around 12:30 and four other guys in kayaks showed up at the same time calling it quits. Two of them had gone almost to the falls and said that it was slow up there as well, said there were 5 other kayaks up there. The other two guys said it was slow for them as well. Nobody had any fish. I released the big male, not enough for a meal. The first two guys I spoke to said they had done really well two weeks ago. I saw only one motor boat, a tracker, the whole time, and they passed me headed up to the falls. There were maybe 3 guys fishing from the bank, two with minnows and one with spinning gear. I was surprised at how few people were out there, maybe it was because of the weather, or maybe it was the fish have been hard to find up there this year, don't really know. There is a lot of water that's for sure. All in all still a great day on the water, it's a beautiful and serene place to fish.
    cuban_senko likes this.

Nice report Phish, thanks. Looks beautiful out there!
    FISH ON

Well after I got skunked out at the Steps on Friday afternoon from 2 to 4 and Saturday morning from 10 to 11:30 I figured I might as well make it a hat trick and go get skunked at Reimers this morning. And I pretty much wasn't disappointed. Launched the kayak at 8:45 and paddled up to the Falls where there were three other kayaks and three fishing boats that came up from the lake. Nobody was having much action at all. Over a two hour period up there I saw an occasional fish being caught, one guy in a boat said he had three but they were all undersize. I managed one male about 9 inches and one Guadalupe, small. The water is very clear. I only saw one group of whites in the water the whole time, nothing in the way of surface action when they are herding. When I got back to the ramp at 12:30 I did talk to a fellow who said on Thursday when he arrived at noon he saw some guys in kayaks coming in with some really good sized stringers of whites. This has been a tough year for me, I can't seem to find the fish or be out on the water on the right days. Was a beautiful day to be out though. Meanwhile, I was thinking about hitting Colorado Bend this weekend instead but they are jam packed until the end of March is what I was told, no campsites available. The park rangers say it has been pretty spotty up there as well.IMG_20170319_101010.jpgIMG_20170319_092238.jpgIMG_20170319_092230.jpgIMG_20170319_101020.jpg
    cigarsnjeeps likes this.

Sponsored Links