White Bass Run - 2017
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By telerush
  • 1 Post By bastropian
  • 1 Post By telerush

Thread: White Bass Run - 2017

White Bass Run - 2017

So far I've only gone to "The Steps" at San Gabriel on Feb 4th. Didn't catch any whites. Only 1 largemouth on minnows. There was one guy who caught 8 whites but nobody else was having much luck at all. In addition to minnows, I tried rooster tails, grubs, and maribous (all mostly white).

I'm planning on going to Inks Lake for the weekend of Feb. 17-19. I'm bringing my boat but honestly I will just go wherever the run is best, even if it means bank fishing. Does anybody know of the best spots on Inks Lake for the run? I hear the area south of the dam has been closed off since 9/11 and it used to be the hotspot. As of now, I'm thinking about the northern area of Inks just below the Buchanan dam. Any input from anybody who has been there in prior years?
    mike2010 likes this.

I used to go below Inks dam all the time before the terrorists screwed that up also. Sad that all significant dams in America have a no-go zone that's buoyed off now.
    When they were generating at Inks it was unbelievable how active the fish were at times. Whites, Stripers and Hybrids blasting shad, boiling the water. Amazing top water action with Heddon tiny torpedo lures (anything else that look like a wounded/fleeing shad would have worked I'm sure).
    You can still get upstream to the barrier at least if you know what you're doing. But - there are some massive granite boulders you have to navigate through, and the water level rises when they generate so that some are submerged just below the water.

Telerush, I will be out there the same weekend. Look for the orange camo Big Game 2 and a yellow PA12. Im hoping to chase some schools in the no wake area of the park, as well as hit the timber stand upriver from the park for some largemouth action.

4. Remove Advertisements
    AustinBassFishing.com
    Advertisements

I've done really well in the area that Weatherman is taking about, but it has been a couple of years. Definitely have to look out for submerged boulders, but take your time and be fine. Most of the whites there are really big, and some of the hybrids are small. Be sure you know the difference before keeping the wrong one. It could mean a hefty fine. We were throwing rattle traps mostly that time.
    Weatherman likes this.
    FISH ON

Welder, I'll be in a 14 foot aluminum with 2 rugrats.

You say the no wake zone is good? I hear pretty much the whole lake is productive. I guess that's a benefit of small lakes.

I might try the northern part upstream just below Buchanan dam. I would think this would be next best bet after the area below Inks dam. From google satellite it looks like there are a lot of sandy underwater ledges.
    Weatherman likes this.

Bastropian, are you talking about the no wake zone to the east towards swimming area? Or the area upstream towards Buchanan dam?

Upstream, toward Buch Dam. I might be there this weekend as well. I'll be in my silver G3 Eagle.
    FISH ON

Sponsored Links