Bass Fishing Forum banner

Who all are going to Lake Buchanan on Sunday, January 11th?

3K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Ben_S 
#1 ·
Who all are going to Lake Buchanan on Sunday, January 11th?

I heard several boats were going???

#2 ·
TexDawg and I put in @ Burnet County ramp today 7:30 am and headed to Black Rock to fish the humps.  Winds kicked up in a bad way and left us running cover.  We tried to wait it out with no luck. Decision was made to head back across the lake and call it a day.  Wind gust  at 25 and some big white caps. Time for a larger Boat.  It was the scariest ride I have had on Buchanan. The bilge pump was working overtime while taking on more waves.

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KTXBURNE2&month=1&day=10&year=2009

Hope the wind cooperates with your plans.

#3 ·
Windspeed forecasts for the next 10 days
showed 11 mph today, though it was windier

9 sun, 7 Mon, 8 Tues Wed, 10 Thurs, 7 Fri, 8 next sat/Sun

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/78611?dp=windsdp

I'd hit Marble Falls, or Inks unless you get on a creek ... much more protected from wind than Buch is.
I didn't notice forecasted wind directions, but they look alll ovee the place

Dunno about open ramps, I might run there tomorrow just to see if a PB can launch at Lakeside Park

My delimma is I'm trying to install a rooftop antenna on a calm day and also want to fish on a calm day

#6 ·
I might go out on Monday. Sunday, is not good for me...

Current Lake Buchanan Forecast for Sunday...

Today: Sunny, with a high near 59. North northwest wind around 5 mph.

Tonight: Clear, with a low around 31. Calm wind.

Monday: Sunny, with a high near 62. Calm wind becoming south southwest between 5 and 10 mph.

Monday Night: Clear, with a low around 37. South southeast wind 5 to 15 mph becoming north.

#10 ·
Allright here we go, Got out there about 10:00 fished hard ran a lot all the way from the dam to black rock to the light house up around bird island all over. Couldn't get bit, graphed some bait balls but that was it. Met up with the Bass Boozer, couldn't find anything. Finally rolled around bird Island late maybe 4 or so and found the boozer engulfed in birds, watched him land a nice stripe hooked up and lost a stripe that growled at me said something dirty about my mother and threw the slab at my face! I then grabbed a nice one about 26" and one of my buddies caught one a little too small then we caught a few whites before we lost the school. Fished around for a little the Bozer went back to the dock and right before dark we swung around that point where the lighthouse sits into another big group of birds. We put another nice strioe and a couple of magnum whites in the boat then caught a couple of tiny whites and that was it. I think we wrapped up with three stripes and a half dozen whites. Just could'nt stay on them. I think the fish might have been up for a while but we got to them just as they were going down. Couldn't find the bite out in the open water like last weekend. Hardly any boats out there. Talked to one guy at blackrock who had been sitting there all day and had only caught 6 whites. All fish caught on slabs that are just like that cabela's real image you like so much. That's all I can do to help. You guys keep us informed, I wanna chase em again on Sunday. Robert I'll take ya up on that offer Let's go catch some fish sometime

#11 ·
I personally think that you need to wait atleast 3-4 days after a cold front before locating them...However, a nice day like today is great to be on the water......

BP has alot to do with the bite in my opinion. However, go fishing when you can....

The striper bite will only get better, once we have some stable cold weather.

Ben, congrats on new/used boat.....better times ahead!

Robert

PS: I have found some stripers North, just wait for my reports by next weekend! ;D

#13 ·
I had a great time out on Lake Buchanan. Spent Sunday morning trolling around and didn't catch a thing. Hooked up with Ben_S and he suggested I jig around the lighthouse. Ended up catching 4, 3lb channel catfish, 1 white bass and 1, 24 inch striper. Caught that Striper in the middle of a bird feeding frenzy. It seems to be absolutely true, that finding the working birds is the key to striper fishing. Plan to get out to Buchanan much more often. Hadn't realized that the boat ramp is only exactly 60 miles from my driveway. Well worth the drive.

#15 ·
Bass Boozer, I'm glad to hear you had a good time. I was worried after I had told you how many we caught the previous week and then we couldn't seem to get into them. We found one more big school not long after you took off right around that same point. I was about to call you but was glad that I didn't cause we pulled into them and all three of us hooked up immeditely 2 or 3 times a piece and then the school went down and we couldn't locate again. I filled the boat up again today (I ran through about 32 gallons of gas that day!) We were all over looking for them. I need to buy a radio so we can keep in better touch out there. The average size of fish in those schools was incredible, seemed like they were mostly good stripers! I'm glad you had fun. I'll probaly continue to do that every Sunday for a while. Stay in touch we'll do it again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.