Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
+ Reply to Thread

Lake Travis White Bass

Head Count as follows:
    Last Saturday morning, 30 feet of water, adjacent to sandy bottom, four of us caught over 100 whites in less than an hour. Water temp was 58 degrees from 7:30am to 8:30am. Winds were calm, then gusting to over 25mph out of the North at 9am.

Last Sunday morning, *drift fishing in a ski boat, Glen and I caught over 100 whites and kept 50 of the biggest. All caught in 45 feet of water, adjacent to sandy point. Winds were calm.

Last Sunday afternoon, fished with Matt in his CC boat. Fished the same areas as the morning, but the fish were not there. So we moved up the lake, at the mouth of a creek. Charted fish from 45-50 feet of water. Caught over 100 whites, keeping 25 whites. Also, Glen and I caught 2 keeper striper. I caught a 10lb yellow catfish and Glen caught a 4lb yellow catfish. We also caught several bass, too. Winds were gusting to 15mph out of the South.

Last Monday afternoon, Glen, Matt and Chris fished all the area's above, but no fish. Found fish in the middle of the channel, in 45 feet of water, right off the bottom. They also caught crappie to 15", another 10lb yellow catfish and over 125 whites, keeping only 35...due to all the fish that has been caught recently. Winds were gusting to 25mph out of the South.

After these trips, the last few days, I think alot of the white bass are spawning in the main channel or in about 45 feet of water. So, if any of you fish the next few warm days, chart any water on Lake Travis from 35-50 feet of water, off the main river channel, especially around Pace Bend Park or Sandy Creeks or Cypress creek...The fish are going to show up as blobs of bait along the bottom. Drop your slab or jigging spoon to the bottom and raise your rod tip just about 2 feet and go back down to bottom. Never reel up. Always stay in contact with bottom. Colors: CHartreuse (sp?) has been working the best. Do not stay in one spot long, if you do not get a bite. You will have to learn how to read your LCD. It is very important to know that there TREES in the main river channel, deeper than 50 feet of water. We lost several jigging spoons to deep water trees on Lake Travis!

I think there are a LOT of fish staying in deeper water that can be caught. I thought about trying the mouth of Cow Creek? Or even up the river towards the Narrows, but staying in 30-50 feet of water and looking at your LCD. This is the first time I have ever caught so many whites in this deep of water on Travis. We have been doing this on Buchanan for the past several months. So, why not try in your backyard!

My $0.02

Robert

RO

Re: Lake Travis White Bass

Great post Robert. Thankyou. I did graph some fish and bait blobs in the mouth of Cow Creek last Sat and Sunday but could not connect with the slab on the bottom. I had my son with me and his patience is not long, though he is learning. We might have found an active pod if we'd tried longer. I think you're right on. Very different scenario than last year this time. Thanks for all your help.

Re: Lake Travis White Bass

Great post and information for us find and get on fish faster. Really appreciate all the info!
    "There is only one thing wrong with a fishing day--its staggering brevity. If a man spent all his days fishing, life would seem to be a swift dream." Zane Grey

Ads