Getting started Yak'n around ATX
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By brx1836

Thread: Getting started Yak'n around ATX

Getting started Yak'n around ATX

Hey ABF,

I got my hands on a fishing kayak a few weeks ago and I've been hooked. I spent my entire life on the banks and I'm finally able to get out on the water. Im super stoked about that. Any tips/tricks for a new guy?

I've been fishing Town Lake the most, as the slip at Austin High is about 10 minutes from where I live.
    Remember the Alamo
    Remember Goliad
    God Bless Texas

Welcome to the water, as far as advice for central Texas water via the Kayak, first things first... avoid Lake Austin during the day, it is a death trap for Kayaks unless you are far up a creek, Town Lake is my go-to as well, only a five min drive from the apt and there are some big fish and lots of fish in Town lake, look to take the kayak out from red bud island in the early morning to fish the discharge below the dam, its a good spot that can get crowded with yaks but the fishing is good. The shoreline around the high school and near the drainage ditch launch is quite good as well... too many good kayak fishing spots on Town lake to mention them all... for easy fish during the summer, i fish the shaded areas under the boardwalk on Town lake with good results during the dog days of summer. Lake Travis has a ton of great creeks to kayak up, take your pick and you will find fish, Travis is good for numbers of fish. I avoid Bastrop, far too crowded and decker gets crowded as well... Lake Pflugerville can be good but gets windy.... as noted before, too many good kayak spots to mention, we have great fishing so take your pick of spots and if you are good, you will have no trouble getting onto the fish.

The Lower Colorado has been good to me. Just need to make sure the flow is down. Otherwise, you'll spend all your time and energy paddling.

I used to launch from underneath the 183 flyover on Levander Loop, but noticed it was closed off last time I went to the airport due to road construction. Does anyone know if/when they're planning on opening this back up or when the construction will be finished?

4. Remove Advertisements
    AustinBassFishing.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by trentflanders View Post
    Welcome to the water, as far as advice for central Texas water via the Kayak, first things first... avoid Lake Austin during the day, it is a death trap for Kayaks unless you are far up a creek, Town Lake is my go-to as well, only a five min drive from the apt and there are some big fish and lots of fish in Town lake, look to take the kayak out from red bud island in the early morning to fish the discharge below the dam, its a good spot that can get crowded with yaks but the fishing is good. The shoreline around the high school and near the drainage ditch launch is quite good as well... too many good kayak fishing spots on Town lake to mention them all... for easy fish during the summer, i fish the shaded areas under the boardwalk on Town lake with good results during the dog days of summer. Lake Travis has a ton of great creeks to kayak up, take your pick and you will find fish, Travis is good for numbers of fish. I avoid Bastrop, far too crowded and decker gets crowded as well... Lake Pflugerville can be good but gets windy.... as noted before, too many good kayak spots to mention, we have great fishing so take your pick of spots and if you are good, you will have no trouble getting onto the fish.
    Thank you so much! I've been hitting town lake about twice a week. One day on the east end (AHS) and one on the west (E of 35). I want to get out on decker, I am most definitely blessed when it comes to my work schedule as I am able to fish during the week. Hopefully it won't be too busy.

Still getting used to the setup, paddling and fishing at the same time. lol. I am definitely in need of some stuff (crate, anchor, spike etc.) but I'm getting there!

Again, thank you!
    trentflanders likes this.
    Remember the Alamo
    Remember Goliad
    God Bless Texas

Correction,

One day on the east end (E of 35) and one on the west (AHS) lol
    Remember the Alamo
    Remember Goliad
    God Bless Texas

I'm fairly new too. Any luck out there on lady bird? I'm usually out there every other weekend on my yak. This is my best catch so far. yak.png

Anybody ever have any luck on Brushy Creek? I've only been there once. It is a nice lake to paddle and convenient to my new office location so I've been thinking about hitting it in the afternoon during the week.

Sponsored Links