What's up with the SUP? - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: What's up with the SUP?

I was thinking of buying an inflatable SUP to fish a small residential lake. Instead, I think I will be buying a snap-on kayak that should easily fit in the back of a small SUV.

Fishing from a SUP, however, would add a completely new and exciting dimension to ocean fishing for larger species (striper, cobia, etc.)....

i have a Bote SUP (one so far, getting another next spring). similar to this:
    8203700E-62DD-430D-A85F-25A3EC1E54EC_1.jpg

when they're rigged with a yeti and rod holder, they're extremely comfortable for fishing still water. The yeti doubles as a seat and gear storage. I take mine out on Town Lake when I dont feel like hauling a kayak and a bunch of gear around. It's definitely a minimal approach to fishing... no electronics, power pole, 10 rods, 30 lbs of baits etc... (though Bote does have a board that will has mounts for a Micro Pole).

If it seems like i'm Bote biased, it's because I am.
    I havent found another SUP company that has catered to the fishing market with as much innovation as they have.

one detractor for some people:
    They're basically huge surfboards... they ding easily and cannot take the abuse of a kayak in transport.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CasualHookup; 09-29-2015 at 10:13 PM.

I had a friend that took his Bote board to Louisiana. Seeing that thing on the water was very cool. He had it rigged up with a yeti and the rod holder. I can see this being extremely useful in shallow bays. I kind of want one now but already have 3 kayaks and need another more than I do a board.

4. Remove Advertisements
    AustinBassFishing.com
    Advertisements

Sups can be fun to fish out of. I started off with a cheap pelican I got as a birthday gift. I would strap a cooler to it for a seat and just take one pole. Packing light was key, and by light I mean just the basics. I later upgraded to a flatstalker which was essentially a SUP on steroids. I finally sold the flatstalker and just ended up with a kayak. I'll see if I can dig up some old photos.

Picked this up just for running around where the skeeter doesn't fit. The 55 lb thrust TMm runs it around fast enough to troll with.

It is for sale also.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    RO likes this.

cop
    I rescue a lot of SUP paddlers. Seems they cannot get back to the boat ramp a lot of times if the wind comes up, esp on LA. It's a pain in the butt stacking the damn things in the boat if the fish are biting but it helps that the paddlers are usually young and female. My record is four at one time.
    breakupyourband, e00o, RO and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by cop View Post
    I rescue a lot of SUP paddlers. Seems they cannot get back to the boat ramp a lot of times if the wind comes up, esp on LA. It's a pain in the butt stacking the damn things in the boat if the fish are biting but it helps that the paddlers are usually young and female. My record is four at one time.
    Lots of jokes here, but I will refrain since you're an actual cop.

Back on topic - anyone have experience with the Diablo products? Looking at the Amigo.
    RO likes this.

RO
    Quote Originally Posted by cop View Post
    usually young and female. My record is four at one time.
    That is impressive. I'm still aspiring for two.

But yeah, that Diablo Amigo looks enticing.
    Last edited by RO; 03-10-2016 at 09:51 AM.
    e00o and michang5 like this.

ACK demo day is coming up, Diablo was at the last one I believe. I putted around in one for a bit....definitely fishable.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links