Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Lake Austin Sportsman's Association

RO
    Quote Originally Posted by Acuna View Post
    Is there any interest in starting this organization? If so, post up.

Goals:

1. Provide a singular, united voice for fisherman and outdoor enthusiasts to the LCRA, TPWD, Travis County, and the City of Austin on matters pertaining to the management of Lake Austin.

2. Work with other special interest groups who are attempting to influence the decisions of the LCRA and TPWD.

3. Highlight the unique and special sporting opportunities that Lake Austin provides.

4. Facilitate conservation projects on Lake Austin.

Questions I have:

1. What would you pay (annually) to be a member and what would you expect in return (sticker, newsletter, etc.)? $25? $40? $50?

2. Would you attend a fundraiser banquet (like Ducks Unlimited or CCA)?

3. What would your expectations be of LASA?

Thanks for your input.
    Good questions Andrew. Perhaps with annual fees, you could have a student/senior rate (10-15$), then regular member (~$50), then offer other levels with cheesy names like carp-slayer, hydrlla splitter, Chrismun wanna-be, etc. up to lifetime membership. And if we can hire the same waitresses that work the CCA banquet, I'm certain we can raise something, perhaps even funds.

And what goals for LASA? Since the drawdown method has proven to be an effective means (probably THE most effective way) of controlling hydrilla overgrowth, LASA should promote continued use of this method rather than additional carp stockings. As a secondary goal, the ramps at Walsh and City Park should be extended during a 2-3 ft lower than normal drawdown, thereby facilitating lake access during "normal" drawdowns, which may be used annually during periods of excessive hydrilla growth, or every other year as in the past.
    Last edited by RO; 06-24-2012 at 10:29 PM.
    Skeeter Matt likes this.

1. What would you pay (annually) to be a member
    No....
    Catching 14 lbers on the reg.....

Administrator
    Only if certain key members of TPWD, the HOA's, etc. were willing to join the group and provide an open door type policy. Otherwise it would just be a handful of guys who want to throw money into something that will never receive the attention needed.

Some interesting thoughts there AO. I thought about it for a bit and I kept on coming back to the conclusion that as nice as it'd be to have an organization such as "LASA" around; that seems more like a desirable long-term goal. We may only have 1-3 months to do something to make sure these 12k carp aren't released on top of the 3k release which seems to be imminent and unavoidable. I thought of few points related to courses of action we could pursue to stop this from happening.

I really don't know how ridiculous some of those suggestions are, but man, I mean... sometimes one person (or judge) is all it takes.

1. On a narrow river like Austin that's home to such a large number of watercraft, riverbank erosion (despite all of the beachwalls that exist) occurs at a disproportionate rate. Is there any way we'd be able to prove to a judge that hydrilla is a necessary evil to ensure the environmental health of the river and all of the species that live in it and persuade him to issue an injunction or stay for the grass carp release until the issue can be studied in greater detail?

2. Does a threatened species live in Austin that may need the hydrilla to survive? Can it be proven that the Barton Springs Salamander flourishes in Barton Springs because the hydrilla theoretically provides it cover from all of the swimmers that thrash around in the pool - it really isn't too much of a stretch to think that Austin may be home to those salamanders and to think that Hydrilla may be essential to their survival and that there's a well-established biologist who feels that way, too.

3. How can we best support lfg (Lane Grigg) the only guy who apparently, at this point, really wants to have a hands-on role in anything to do with any of this.

4. Do we know any attorneys who would enjoy exploring this case further to discern whether there are any legal options anyone could take to at least force a court think about whether LCRA may actually be harming the river by eradicating the hydrilla.

It can easily be argued that LCRA's harming the ecology of the river in many different ways by trying to remove the hydrilla: as mentioned before, austin will turn into a silted in and muddy cesspool; and those huge carp rooting around in the mud will harm so many types of species trying to spawn. There's got to be an attorney who loves the river and bass fishing enough to actually want to take a hands-on role in trying to do something real about it.
    RO likes this.
    Toads for breakfast=> lunch and dinner!!!

This is going to turn into Occupy 360...pretty much a bunch of broke anglers trying to fight extremely wealthy homeowners and businesses. Voices may be heard but money always wins right?

Whoever is spearheading this should also look into joining this. It was brought to our attention and advised that a local angler should be part of this board.

http://www.austintexas.gov/content/lake-austin-task-force

Last edited by Andy Nuyen; 06-25-2012 at 08:48 AM.
    RO likes this.

The problem with the drawdowns is after they are over you have to rape the shit out of Travis to fill LA back up. Me no likey taking a shit ton of water out of Travis.
    Alan likes this.

Have a fleet of aluminum boats for use during drawdown that are only available for use by your members, that might get some attention

Quote Originally Posted by RO View Post
    Good idea Andrew. I'd pay an annual fee and support fund raisers, and I don't even fish LA or for LMB often. It's the principle. We shouldn't let a special interest group destroy an ecosystem owned by all of us, even if the river's banks are mostly private. The water is owned by the state and its residents. The management of the ecosystem should be based on science, not on who can buy their will, or the might makes right principle.

There is another thread for LASA with a sign up link:

Lake Austin Grass Carp

I couldn't agree more. I am in.

I have looked around and every thing comes back to carp. I'm not totally agents them adding some carp to help control what we have but over stocking one unwanted thing for another is not management. There is 13,000 in there now leave it as is for a few years see what will happen and give ppl like us time to find a better plan. Than we go carp hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Nuyen View Post
    This is going to turn into Occupy 360...pretty much a bunch of broke anglers trying to fight extremely wealthy homeowners and businesses. Voices may be heard but money always wins right?

Whoever is spearheading this should also look into joining this. It was brought to our attention and advised that a local angler should be part of this board.

http://www.austintexas.gov/content/lake-austin-task-force

I really don't want to list any examples of this here, but, history has shown
    that in campaigns, MONEY gets trumped by THE HEARTS AND MINDS. Now,
    successful or not, rich or poor, Bass Fishermen do have their hearts and minds
    set on being a successful Bass Fishermen. It is not set in stone that we have to sit in the back of the boat over this grass carp issue.
    NjTexan likes this.

Ads