Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Tournament Ethics/Rules Question

Tournament Ethics/Rules Question

So after some events yesterday, it got me thinking. If you're fishing a tournament, hook a dink... during the retrieve a big fish snaps at the small fish and holds on long enough for you to net it, but was never actually hooked....does this fish need to go back in the lake or in the livewell? Ethically, I would guess back in the lake... but are there typically any rules preventing this? It would be a tough call.

Livewell.

What happens if you hook a dink on an A-Rig and a bigger fish comes to eat him and gets hooked as well? Does he go back in the water?

Nope, livewell
    "Shit is not like it once was"- AggieGreg

Dustin, I had no idea you were a tournament director. What trail are you running?

I will have to dig this up, but there was a story years ago that a guy caught a monster fish on Fork, he was crappie fishing and had a crappie hooked up and was reeling it up to the boat, a 14+ lb bass ate the crappie and they landed it. When they brought it into the marina to have it weighed, the guy told the GW how it was caught and he was ticketed for using a game fish as bait. Now, I am not sure if he said he purposely allowed the bass to eat the crappie or what, but as the letter of the law goes, I guess that would technically be considered using a game fish as bait. Most tournament rules say, "you have to follow all state and local laws", so I guess that is where it would be covered. I am pretty curious about this and it is probably worth asking a GW, if they say it is a legal catch, then I don't think there is anything wrong with weighing that fish in a tournament.
    RO and Benny20b like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Waylon Papst View Post
    Dustin, I had no idea you were a tournament director. What trail are you running?
    BBP Trail
    Waylon Papst likes this.
    "Shit is not like it once was"- AggieGreg

Supporting Vendor
    I think most T's require the fish to be caught on artificial bait-no live bait. If the bigger fish swung at the dink and hooked itself on the bait you would be good to go I would think.

Never have fished a tourney, but I thought that a fished to be weighed had to be hooked in the mouth.

I've had the opposite happen.

Fishing smallies in Canada, I hooked a decent 2-3# and as I was fighting him back to the boat, a northern decided to intervene.
    I came up with about 1/2# of bass.
    RO and BassBlaster like this.

Tournament rules are that you cant cull a dead fish so you are stuck with half of what you caught with a 1lb penalty for the fish being dead.
    LTE for the win

I almost had this situation several years ago in a tournament. We were on LBJ fishing FOM. Partner was throwing a jerkbait and caught a couple small whites in a row. On the third white, he reeled in really fast because he was pissed he caught another one. As the white hit the top of the water, so did a bass about 9lb with his mouth wide open. If he had been reeling slower the bass probably would have bitten. Keep or chunk in a tournament? Personally, I think keep because you weren't purposely fishing with live bait. Some tournaments have rules stating the fish has to be hooked in the mouth to avoid people snagging bedding bass. In that case, I would say keep if the bass hit hard enough to get the hook in his mouth and chunk if it didn't. Of course this is just my opinion and I would love to know the real answer to this. Legal catch if a bigger fish happens to bite on a smaller fish when you are reeling in?

Different situation, but down at the coast I have had shark go after snappers as you are reeling them up. A few times the shark managed to get hooked. We released them because they weren't long enough to keep, but would it have been legal to keep assuming they were of legal length? I know you can't use snapper as bait, but technically we weren't. We caught snapper and the shark got caught trying to steal the snapper when we were reeling in. My vote is yes, but I would love to know the law on this.

Dez
    Good question. It's happened to me too, at the coast..

Ads