Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
+ Reply to Thread

Smallmouth Buffalo (Fish)

Pictured is Ben S (Benny), his friends Ben and James, fighting a fish this past Sunday. After a 15 minute fight, using jigging spoons, the fish was finally landed. Snagged near the tail section, a smallmouth Buffalo. That fish looked like a hump-back mini whale.

First pic of Ben fighting the fish and Benny getting ready with net.

Second Pic of Ben holding the big fish....

Third pic of Benny trying to weigh it! (33lbs)

Re: Smallmouth Buffalo (Fish)

how much did it weigh?

Administrator

He posted it right above the 3rd photo, 33 lbs., man I bet he was pulling that Procraft all over the lake

Good grief Ben, you have enough stuff on your dashboard? *;D ;D ;D

Hell ya outta see whats stored in the tackle sections, that 70+ mile an hour boat now tops around 53, *All that tackle and sunday I used 2 different lures, *that was a fun fight though, I was hoping my buddy had hooked into a big yellow, * It was kinda yellow but not the right kind still fun though, he almost spooled all the line of that revo twice(only 12 lb) and I had to chase him with the boat and then after about 15 minutes he just kind of floated up to the top Robert thanks for posting the pics, my old pro craft looks pretty good sitting out there. Hard to believe she's 15 years old

oh i see it 33 lbs

RO

Man, that may have been a lake record! *Did anyone look it up? *Dubious distinction however. *That boat of your does look mighty fine Benny, and you stole it for a few songs, and a couple of...oh yeah, we gotta keep this PG-13 on the site! *But we know that there's know way you could have got that boat for such an incredible deal without substantial vacuum to certain parts.

BTW, were any lighter colored fish landed on that expedition? *Maybe with stripes down their sides?

Just looked up the record, 45 lbs:

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat...p?WB_code=0118

You're going to have to try harder Benny! Just 12 lbs shy of the record! And I thought I was good at graphing carp!

It'll take weeks to get the stank out of that Procraft much less your hands... ;D

Consider yourselves slimed....

Was a fun trip. *When Benny said "we need a net, we have a fish over here we can't turn" *we knew something was up. *As we motored over there he had the big motor up and Ben's pole doubled over. *The beauty was hooked in the tail. *Nice Totonka. *Ben said that was his second buffalo this year. *Next time, instead of releasing, may want to try the receipe I saw on food network where the fish is placed on a board, oven cooked, discard fish and eat board.

Nutritional value:

The buffalo fish, very similar to carp. High are protein (17%), relatively low in fat (7-8%), and contains no carbohydrates.

Features and benefits:

Buffaloes resemble carp, but have firm whiter meat and fewer bones. All of which makes high quality buffaloes excellent value for the dollar. Many consumers, with the fondness to fish, likens buffaloes to catfish. These fish can be cooked (even as gefilte fish), but in the Midwest United States, these fish are usually deep fried.

Product forms:

Buffalo Fish can be processed as either whole frozen, head on and gutted frozen, headed and gutted frozen, fillets (skin on or skinless) frozen, and mechanically deboned (minced).

buffalo fish

Similar to CARP, this freshwater FISH is a member of the sucker family. It has a coarse but sweet, lean flesh that can be baked, poached, sautéed or grilled. Buffalo FISH can be purchased whole or in fillets or steaks. It's especially good in its smoked form.

Buffalo is in the carp family. Bottom feeder. Here is a good way to eat bottom feeders.
    Start a good fire from hard wood.
    Take 2 peices of green pine wood.
    Take the fish and some wire and wire the fish inside like a sandwich.
    Rake out a spot in the hot embers and place the 'tethered' fish into the coals.
    Wait about 2 to 3 hours. Then take out the bottom feeding fish.
    Clip the wire, throw away the fish and eat the wood!!

BAKED BUFFALO FISH *

1 (4-5 lb.) buffalo fish
    2 sticks corn oil butter
    1 tsp. black pepper
    1 lemon, thinly sliced
    1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper

Build an open fire using only hickory. While the fire is burning down to gray coals, clean fish and cut almost through the back bone from end to end so that it can be laid out flat. Obtain a yellow poplar board, approximately 12"x36". Place the buffalo, skin side down, about 6" from one end of the board. Nail the fish to the board, using large headed roofing nails. In a small saucepan, melt the butter and add the pepper and lemon. Simmer covered for 5 minutes.
    Baste the fish liberally with the lemon butter, being sure that some sauce runs between the board and the fish. When the fire has burned down to coals, lean the board over the coals, fish side down, using a small stick to prop the board up. Baste liberally every 5 minutes, being sure that some sauce runs underneath the fish. Cook 40 to 50 minutes until fish flakes easily. Remove nails, throw the fish back in the river and eat the board
    ;D ;D

Ads