Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ideas for a hunting cabin

Okay,

So, land..check. Road plans, check. Hunting/Camping cabin the wife and kids will enjoy....well, credit.. lol

I started with an idea of a cabin for the ranch. I saw a cabin (unfinished) and built incorrectly that was about 16x24-ish. Here's a picture of it:

So, here are the issues I am having with the plans for the cabin:

1.) Everyone and their dog has an idea of how to make this "right" and I am okay with that, but using 2x12's for the entire base is expensive as all hell. Now, these guys seemed to have used 2x4's everywhere, including the base, and I think that is not near enough. They also seem to have used radiant barrier for the siding, placed backwards too. I think that was because radiant barrier is only like 10 bucks a sheet.

* --- So here is my plan:

I want to build a cabin that is 24x24, or at least 20x24. I want to add a 24x8ft covered porch to at least one side, if not both. Since the porch is not really that load bearing, not like my house, it should not be too heavy and thus not be that big a deal.

essentially, this shape : --^-- for the side of the house.

Now, my early estimates on building this thing had me in the upwards range of over 8k bucks. This is with a metal roof and having radiant barrier under it all to keep it quiet. This is also with everything on 18" centers and using 2x4's on the framing, except for the base which would be 2x8's and 2x6's.

I pretty much am down to reducing it to one porch and 16x24 to cut the costs, which is a bummer.

Anyone have any good ideas? I also have started combing the craigslist ads to locate materials to put this all together for free or a lot cheaper, but that would take a long time to do to get all the parts.

My prices were based on home depot prices or lowes as we have credit at both and I can do 12 months no financing and pay it off rather easy with monthly as well as next year's income tax.. heh

I even thought about accumulating bricks that are free on craigslist over time and using that rather than hardie plank, but god how it would look.. lol.. well, unless I then paint them but I would also need to get someone that knew how to do brick..heh

How can I have the less expensive metal roof, but not have to add the radiant barrier behind it to make it quiet when it rains etc?

I really want to try to cut half the cost without losing the 24x24 with two porches.

Russ

Re: Ideas for a hunting cabin

What about one of those pre-fab metal/wood buildings? You can finish it out and add the porches over time and probably do it yourself alot cheaper.

I looked into the prefabs and they are more or just as expensive. The ones off of 29 in Liberty Hill, they wanted over 9k for them and they were 14'x30'.

Here's what I did: I got with Lowes and I dropped the back porch (8ft porch), kept the 24x24, extended the front porch by 4 ft (made it 24x12) and so far, I have the price about 6k. Then they are going to do a project pricing for me and I figure they will drop it another 10-20 percent.

That is very much doable.

That includes a small shower, water heater, entire bathroom etc.

I do not care what we break it down to as long as it is below 8k with everything in it. As long as it is below 8k, I can make the same payments I would on a smaller building and then pay it off in a year.. heh.

I am working on the plans so we can go up the middle to end of April and build it in one week.

R

That sounds really good. Especially if someone else is doing the labor.

Dez

Why don't you just go get you a nice travel trailer and build a pole barn over it for porch cover. Then when you sell the place in 6 months you can take the house with you.. ;D

Sorry Rus, couldn't help myself..

yuk yuk yuk. I only took a "loss" on the bass boat. I get a lot of fun out of it and sell it before it takes a dive in value.

Land, on the other hand, is a long term investment.

Don't be hatin on a guy that is fortunate enough to come across and take advantage of a few good boats... heh

I will eventually get another boat, but I will pay cash for the next one. I have learned that I can get to most everything I fish for around here with a jon boat or an old bass boat, and save the money on the big boats to just take a guide on the coast or fish surf, wade, kayak, pier.

I'll leave the expensive big boats for others as I just do not get down there enough.

R

Stick with *16 in centers , *construction materials are nominal *16 x 3 = 48 ,etc *makes for less waste. Also consider plywood sheathing with tyvek wrap and hardie siding , you can * buy it primed or *painted. Also roofing shingles are more forgiving during instillation than metal roof. H D *also has reasonable priced low E windows . These are just a few things I have picked up over the past 35 years in the construction industry that I used in the renovation of my house last summer. *I my opinion the most important thing is to start square , stay square and stay as plumb as possible. *
    Your character and integrity is tested the most when you think no one is watching

A few others things to consider are *building codes , do they apply ? *Engineered plans? Insulation , batting or spray in ? Water *and waste water. *Electrical , Hvac *
    Your character and integrity is tested the most when you think no one is watching

All great points. I'll keep all that in mind.

Also, my wife's uncle may buy the adjoining 151 acres as a long term investment, so that would give us 227 acres to work with, as long as I kept an eye on his property for him.

All good stuff

R

+ 1 on 16" centers, as far as the brick go IF you do get used get all the same size/ kind as they very is size!!! height X lenght =sq ft for modular brick 7to sq' kingsize 4.5 to sq' splitface block 1.125 to sq' even a hunting cabin you don't want it to look like a calfs ass swown up with barbwire. Plus the extra footing for the brick. If you do use brick/ block PM me I'll tell what I can. I have been a bricklayer for 40 yrs.
    IF YOU CAN'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, STAND IN FRONT THEM. PROUD ARMY DAD & UNCLE

What this country needs is a department of common sense.

Ads