keel guard installation reconmendation
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ColbyB24

Thread: keel guard installation reconmendation

keel guard installation reconmendation

Where can I bring my boat to get a keel guard installed?

And what should I expect to pay?

Get a Beaching Bumper, not a Keel Guard, huge difference, you can pull your boat up on the ramp to enter/exit with no worries with a Beaching Bumper, a Keel Guard is worthless IMO, Hamby's Beaching Bumpers, NOT the Hamby's Light (same as Keel Guard).

I had a spray on keel guard done on my Champion and it works great. I had mine done at Line-X in Killeen, but I think Tracker Marine on 183 has someone that does them and they are a little cheaper for the same material.

4. Remove Advertisements
    AustinBassFishing.com
    Advertisements

Mine was done at shoreline boat and rv. Ask for Greg good guy and he did a great job. Have had mine 3 years now and its held up perfectly. Shoreline Boat & RV Repair
    austinjohn likes this.

Gary at tracker told me they stopped having them sprayed because they were having issues with peeling.

I put a Megaware KeelGuard on my boat and my Dad's boat and have been pleased with performance. I beach them boat on the boat ramps, rocky shoreline at travis and belton with no issues so far. The oldest has been on for 3 years now fished weekly.

You can order of TW for about 190 and install yourself in about 45 minutes.

I had a Hamby's put on last year by Boerne Marine. The Beaching Bumper has to be installed by a dealer, I think...the Hamby's Light can be ordered for DIY. Cost was around $600.
    Luv \'Em and Leave \'Em

Stay away from the different "keel guards" on the market. Most of them use double sided tape to adhere them to the boat and it will not last. Over the years I have heard of accidents occurring while a boat was under way and the keel guard came loose. The keel guard only came partially off and caused the boat to veer to one side or the other.

On the other hand, if the Hamby's protector is installed properly, it will not come off. It is made of much thicker material and will last for the life of the boat. Yes, it will cost more but it will outlast four or five of the others out there. The biggest problem with the Hamby's is that it is not a DIY.

Got a Keelshield keel guard from ebay, 6 ft for $89, no tax, no shipping. Got a heat gun for $9.00 at Harbor Freight and did the job myself. Used the heat gun to ease the removal of my old keel guard and then used it again to warm up my hull prior to replacement. Did the whole job by myself. Removal took 2 hours because I went s-l-o-w and install took less than one hour. I am 71, had to lay on my back to work and it went fine. I have had keel guards on the two boats I have owned and never had a peeling problem, and saved the keel on both boats from taking a beating. I launch all the time by myself using a rope which means the boat will sit on the keel on the boat ramp while I park, or that I have to beach my boat while I park, so my keel guards get a work out.

My keel guard was sprayed on at Tracker on 183. Still looks good and has no signs of peeling. I don't go too fast in my boat on purpose and that has probably helped it hold up better. I think it has been on for about 2 years. Gary, glad to hear you are doing better.

I had a Keelshield installed by Pro Boat Customs in Granite Shoals back in 2009 on my Skeeter, and it's held tight and done its thing without problem one since that time. Running a bead of marine caulk around the edge of the strip is recommended to keep water seepage from working its way under the strip.
    In life, always remember this: the darkest hour is just before dawn...
    so if you're gonna steal your neighbor's newspaper, that's the best time to do it.

Sponsored Links