Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Bass vs trout?

Bass vs trout?

So I'm up in Colorado and of course everyone here fishes for trout. I've been fishing on Lake Austin with my fly rig and caught some good large mouth bass and tons of panfish. I stopped in the local flyfishing store here in Salida and the guy was telling me that trout put up a much better fight than largemouth. Anyone have any opinion about that?

RO
    Rainbows (which are not native to Colorado) can make some nice jumps and runs, and a 3-5 lber will pull pretty well, esp in heavy current in some of the faster rivers. "Much better" is doubtful. The 8-12 lb steelhead we've caught in western NY fight well, but then again, couldn't say better than lmb. Redfish definitely pull harder than lmb (or rainbows) of the same weight, but don't jump, so there's a tradeoff. Jack Crevalle pull like a train and never give up, so if I had to pick one fish that fights "much better" than lmb, it'd be a jack. Also, it is well known that big lmbs eat stocker rainbows, not sure if the flipside scenario occurs, although possible.

Thanks for the input RO. I'm getting back into flyfishing after about 10 years. I had forgoten how much fun it was. My step-dad grew up here and knows about trout but never really fished for bass. I'm thinking I'm going to have to try out this trout fishing thing...when it's not so damned cold. LOL

RO
    Especially with flyfishing, the perception of a "good fight" depends heavily on rod weight and leader/tippet size. I usually use 3-5 wt flyrods in CO, often with very light leader and 2-4 lb tippet to work #22 dries or midges. Catching a 2-3 lb trout on such a setup may seem like a comparable fight to landing a 8 lb lmb on a stiff jig rod with 20lb braid. In fact, it may take longer to land the 2 lb trout on a light fly setup than the 8 lb bass on the jig rod. So keep that in mind when listening to the trout guys brag on their fish. It's all point of view. Bass guys often disparage trolling and dismiss it as an "unsporting" or "unsportsmanlike" method. Try telling that to the guys with $5000 reels who land 1500 lb black marlin. Yeah right. No sport. Whatever.
    Last edited by RO; 11-26-2012 at 07:32 PM.
    voodoosdaddy likes this.

Bulllllshit.
    andystrawn and Limey like this.

JT
    That's just typical Colorado snobbery. I've got family up there, been visiting there all my life, and I've heard it all before. I tell 'em trout are nothing but cold water catfish. That Salida area is very nice BTW, one of my favorite parts of the state.
    "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading." - Henny Youngman

Yeah the guys in the fly shop seemed pretty snobby. As my stepdad said "They seemed more worried about their flyrod and their waders being matching colors than enjoying a day of fishing in the great outdoors." I did find a couple of cool baits that I've never seen before....A crawfish and an iridescent shiner. I'm thinking they will both be killer baits.
    RO, CORSkier and andystrawn like this.

I've never caught a steelhead in a river on fly or spin gear. Or a rainbow bigger than 15". But a smallmouth is a stronger fish than a pickle or a rainbow of comparable size. And they jump, too. I might support a Smallmouth Unlimited chapter in the Guad. (Just kidding--I love catching real Guadalupe bass).

And like RO says, a really light fly rod will make fighting any fish a lot of fun. I absolutely love catching white bass in the rivers with my 3 or 4 weight. They don't give up and know how to use the current.
    Last edited by jlemaux; 11-26-2012 at 11:43 PM.
    RO and voodoosdaddy like this.

My fly rod is ghetto-tastic. No numbers on it...just says "crappie fly rod". My real is an old auto real from the 60's or 70's. I took it down to Sportsman's finest a few months ago and got new line put on it. They had a hell of a time with it and I had to show then how to take it apart. I forget what wheight he said he thought the rod was but they did their best with what i had. I had an 8.5 tapered leader put on it to start. That thing got snapped by a stripper the second day. I saw him swirl when he took it and he was a good one....I didn't know at the time that LA had so many strippers in it. So I moved up to a 14lb leader.

RO
    Don't forget that spinning gear is also very effective for river trout. Your basic 6-7 ft medium rod with 6-10 lb mono and a panther martin spinner will catch tons of trout. You can actually cast upstream and work the spinner back down very effectively in water that would be hard to fish with a flyrod. Your "ghetto" flyrod will still catch fish, but you may not get that "much better" fight with it. It may also be difficult to cast smaller flies on the bigger rod. All depends on what they want. If they're hitting streamers and big stoneflies, then your rod may be fine. Look forward to your reports.
    Emac and voodoosdaddy like this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ads