8 lb braid for ultralight spinning
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: 8 lb braid for ultralight spinning

8 lb braid for ultralight spinning

I normally use 2lb mono on my spinning reel. I wasn't able to find it anywhere locally, so ended up getting some 8 lb power pro that has a smaller diameter. I'm sure the spool won't be enough to fill up the reel.

I've used fly line backing to fill up the reel underneath mono before. Would this work with braid, or is it going to dig in? Should I use something else instead?
    Last edited by stinkbate; 03-17-2017 at 03:54 PM.

I use inexpensive mono as backing for both bait casters and spinning reels.
    burnetbass and langlowe9 like this.
    Pro Wrestling is real Mr Anderson.

I use electrical tape on spinning reel spools.
    Jeremy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    AustinBassFishing.com
    Advertisements

I have to ask. Why would you switch from hair thin mono to braid ?
    I understand kinda local places being out of 2 lb test mono and flouro, but I'm confused as to why in the world you'd go to braid no matter how thin it is. Seems to me the only reason to use 2 lb is for line visibility in gin clear water. Braid will look like a rope in that water.

Well, the small diameter is better for casting ultra tiny lures down to 1/32 oz or even less. This makes it possible to use fly fishing type lures. I was thinking about using a fluoro leader to make it less visible, but I read several articles that said tying braid directly to the lure doesn't seem to make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinHooker View Post
    I use electrical tape on spinning reel spools.
    I use vinyl anti-corrosion tape, which is similar to vinyl electrical tape. The vinyl anti-corrosion tape is thicker, so more vinyl, less adhesive. I do this for reels with braid, casting or spinning.

I use mono backing for top-spotting flouro on my casting reels.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbate View Post
    Well, the small diameter is better for casting ultra tiny lures down to 1/32 oz or even less. This makes it possible to use fly fishing type lures. I was thinking about using a fluoro leader to make it less visible, but I read several articles that said tying braid directly to the lure doesn't seem to make a difference.
    Ohhhhh...Thanks for explaining. I'm from the school of it does matter if the line is really visible in many types of presentations. I use braid with a frog because the fish are just on pure reaction trying to smash and eat it. For smaller baits fished more slowly that the fish will have time to look at, I either use a flouro leader or straight flouro.

Let us know how this works for you. I started using 20lb braid a few years ago since I fish salt a lot and in that case I tie to a swivel with leaders etc. I decided I should be able to use the same RR in fresh but I couldn't get any hits with straight braid. So I tried tieing on a 12 lb fluro section. I tried all the knots, uni/uni, alberto, modified alberto, etc but sooner a later what would happen is that the fluro would break at the knot or the braid would unravel and come loose. I lost a lot of fish trying that scheme. Perhaps my knot tieing skills are not up to par but I tried a bunch of times.

Finally I switched to fluro only and things work so much better. Fluro is a bit heavier and it made my bait casting much easier. So easy that I could cast a worm with no weight at all with a bait caster and so clear that bites went way up. Now I use this technique for casting a live shrimp with no weight.

For the white bass I'm using straight 4lb fluro. Its light enough that the current catches the lure and moves along in a stream.

I hope that you will have a better experience with braid and leader.

Quote Originally Posted by Donf View Post
    Let us know how this works for you....

...I tried all the knots, uni/uni, alberto, modified alberto, etc but sooner a later what would happen is that the fluro would break at the knot or the braid would unravel and come loose. I lost a lot of fish trying that scheme. Perhaps my knot tieing skills are not up to par but I tried a bunch of times...
    I went down the same road, trying to save money by using flouro leaders. I had bought a bunch of PowerPro in different weights when WalMart clearanced them out. I spooled my reels with braid and then tried the same knots you did. I hated the knots bumping on the guides, casting and retrieving. I didn't lose many fish (I didn't hook many), but I lost a lot of lures to knot failure.

I decided to go ahead and buy flouro for my casting reels (sometimes at retail, ouch). I went back to clear mono for my spinning reels, except a reel that I haven't used in a year, my drop-shot rig.

My drop shot set up is a size 30 spinning reel on a 7' St Croix rod. It has 30# moss green PowerPro. If my golfer's elbow flares up and I can't power fish, I will tie on a 15 to 20 foot Seagur 8 pound yellow label leader using the FG knot.

By the way, I hate the FG knot. Unfortunately, its the only the one that can do the job without bumping the guides.

nanofil 17lb dark green has solved all my issues, and i have plenty of 'em...i mean, issues...well, i also have 7 or 8 spools of nano too... even at 17lb it's super skinny, zero memory, casts half a mile...etc... i carry a spool in my box, so if y'all wanna spool some up let me know...or try my set up...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links