Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Old lures

Old lures

I have started collecting old lures. Got a good number from grandpas mummified tackle box, and could verify most with some delicate cleaning and google. But have found some that I cannot find either the company, circa, or anything really about them except the name. Help?
    Some old striper-esc looking lures;

Lazy Ike #1 (Looking for general background)

Lazy Ike #2 (looking for general background)

Old spoon looking lure, hair tail bonded with old cloth and string. Front spoon says "Shimmy No.8" and the one above it says "Altoss PAT. Apr. 30 '18 May14 '18

Looks like an old crankbait, Balsa or some wood, hand painted/carved? Hook att. are an old old school type that has a "cup" that the shank fits into.

Heddon Dowagaic, same "cup" hook att. Old wood balsa/hand painted? Glass eyes.

Old wooden topwater, "cup" hook holders. Glass eyes.

Compac Minnow-fin, Japan made. In box

Larger what looks like Compac minnow-fin

What looks like a large version of the wonderlure, addapted for muskies

Gladly appreciate any help thanks!
    Last edited by FISHING KING; 07-21-2011 at 10:10 PM.

More to come. Thanks again for any info. None for sale.

RO
    Cool man!

Last spoon looks like a dardevl:

dardevl fishing spoon - Bing Images

Have caught plenty on that spoon.

I thought it was a daredevil also... Do the older ones have a lovely pic of lucifer on them? Either way its old and it looks like a daredevil or a wonderlure.

Well now that I look at the paint job theres a smudge right where the pic is. Thanks for the help RO wouldn't have picked that out!

RO
    You can always paint a devil on there to increase the catch! I've done evil-er things!

Haha I could, but that would ruin the original paint bonus

A little info that you asked about...

I don't have much info about those plastic lures but they look to me like 1970's era baits. My friend Gary Jacobs is very up on Bingo-style baits like those.

The Lazy Ike was a really popular flutter bait that you find in old tackle boxes everywhere. The Kautzky Co. started as gunsmiths in Iowa at the end of the 19th century and expanded into the fishing lure business. They were made first in wood, then in the 1950's they went to plastic.

The spinner is the Al Foss Shimmy #8. The Al Foss company made this lure type in several sizes, names, and numbers. Al Foss started the company in Cleveland and sold out to what became True Temper. Maybe from 1940?

The Heddon Dowagiac is an early model River Runt, before the "spook" plastic series started in the 1930's. The history of Heddon is too long to even discuss.

The topwater looks like a Paw Paw Plunker, but it could be a Creek Chub bait as well. Several companies had versions of this bait. I think I have some in a box somewhere. It's from the 1930's maybe.

The Compaq minnow is a Japanese knock-off of a Rapala minnow. Looks like from the '70s.

The spoon is a Dardevle type. The devil's head might have been scratched off if it was there. But there was a gazillion knock-offs of these things.

I started collecting lures when I got my dad's tackle box after he passed on, incidentally.
    I've never killed a man, but I've read several obituaries with great satisfaction.

Thanx for the help Fishing_Steeler. I am guessing that based on your info on the lazy ikes they would be pre-1950. The lures that intruigue me the most are the heddon and the mystery topwater, mainly because they are wood, topwater more than likely balsa, the paint is old school and not coated with all forms of chemicals and preservatives and shields to keep them on, they eyes are glass, and the hook attachments prove they are old. I've done my homework on most of the lures, including some supposidly rare abu garcia spinning baits (must get more info to prove), and an old jitterbug. I am yet to find a good website with detailed info on heddon's production line over the years. I'll just have to get back to researching and not replying

Ads