Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
+ Reply to Thread
    rhm

Micro Guide rods?

I have been thinking of getting a new rod. My current baitcast rod is a Spidercast MH and is too much for a weightless worm. I cant feel a thing. And my spinning rod is 7ft and too floppy to get a good hook set with a senko, but it is perfect for long casts with light weight lures. Does any one out there have any feed back on micro guide rods. I have been checking out the Bass Pro Carbon rod. It is a good bit cheaper than the carrot stick thing. Or should I just get a medium weight normal ole rod.

Also I have a 4600 Abu Garcia c3 reel that is great. I dont know if I should get a new combo with micro guides or put the Abu on the new rod, and get another reel for the old rod.

Thanks

Administrator
    I've seen a few Kyle (CoastalBent) built and they look pretty slick. I wouldn't buy a combo if your looking for a good rod. A lot has to do with price range too, if your looking for store bought I would look at a Falcon Bucoo or a Cara if it's in your price range, if not the Falcon HD's are nice rods for the price (I have 5 of them myself). I've also heard very good things about the Abu Garcia Veritas. None of these are Micro guide rods but all are good sensitive rods for plastics fishing.

Beyond that have Kyle build you one .

Micro guide rods work great. I recommend them for several reasons - Micros are about 1/4oz lighter than a standard set of guides. Doesn't sound like much, but they shave weight off the rod where it matters, on the tip end. Less guide weight, less epoxy weight = more sensitivity. They keep the line under control and on a straighter path than standard guides. This results in better accuracy and more distance. They shed tangles better, they come in and out of the rod locker better, they hold up better when getting stepped on on the front deck. There are lots of advantages and very few disadvantages. Not all micros are created equal. I have had very good luck with Fuji and REC Recoil, and bad luck with some others... I have heard some bad things about the BPS Carbon rods. I'm not sure what brand of guides they're using, but apparently they're pretty flimsy. If I was going to buy an off the shelf micro rod, I'd probably go with a Duckett or a Falcon. If you have the money to put into it and time to wait, a custom rod built with Fuji or Recoil micros is your best bet. Of course, there's nothing wrong with getting a "normal ole rod"... Having the right blank action for the technique you're fishing is more important than the type of guides...
    Last edited by CoastalBent; 06-29-2011 at 08:41 AM.

Dez
    I have one of Kyles micro guide rods, absolutely love it! Definately my favorite long casting rod. I like a 7' mh fast for weigtless senkos. Combine that with 20-30 lb braid and a flouro leader and you have a good worm rig.

Only problem with micro guides is if you like to use leaders. The knot won't go through them

Ads