Lake Austin Grass Carp before and after photos?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By Alan
  • 2 Post By Shimano-man
  • 1 Post By Matt Warren

Thread: Lake Austin Grass Carp before and after photos?

Lake Austin Grass Carp before and after photos?

Does anyone have some good before and after shots of areas with reeds (laguna gloria would be a good one), grass, heck, life...before and after the carp?
    Wyatt Sharphorn

Wilson and Goldrick Realtors
    923 Westbank Dr, Ste. 100
    Austin, TX 78746
    (m)512-944-3187
    (o)512-328-0022
    wyatt@wilsongoldrick.com
    www.wilsongoldrick.com/agent/wyatt-sharphorn/

Laguna Gloria 2009
    LG-2009.jpg

Laguna Gloria 2016
    LG-2016.jpg

Rebar Bridge 2009
    RebarBridge-2009.jpg

Rebar Bridge 2016
    RebarBridge-2016.jpg

Coldwater Creek - 2009
    Cold Water Creek 2009.jpg

Coldwater Creek - 2016
    ColdwaterCreek-2016.jpg

Bend just up from 360 - 2009
    JustUpFrom360-2009.jpg

Bend just up from 360 - 2016
    JustUpFrom360-2016.jpg

All images from Google Earth.

4. Remove Advertisements
    AustinBassFishing.com
    Advertisements

Not good :/

Administrator
    Think it's time to start calling Lake Austin "the DD", for "Drainage Ditch". There is virtually zero sign of life in the water. No bluegills, minnows, baitfish. Last year at this time we were marking tons of shad and literally a mile of white bass along the bluffs.....now nothing. I fished hard on Sunday for about 4 hours, the only movement was the occasional carp breaching. I fished the drawdown 4 times, hitting the most productive spots in the past drawdowns, I caught about 2 or 3 dinks each time....largest was a 4-7. I caught two fish schooling chasing under the bluff wall. I did see some kids catch a 4lb bass at the mouth of Panther on CUT BAIT!!!

The water Sunday had that ugly brown tint, with a lot of the patches of the sticky bubbles. It's only going to get worse with the avalanche of wake board boats on the horizon.

i'd be in favor of draining the entire lake and just starting over

I agree with Allan. Then can we put all the people that F'd it up on a firing line. Ok I know not nice. But someone needs to pay for this mistake.
    MooseJaws and Bassectomy like this.
    Shimano-Man Centex Reel Service 512-698-1641 centexreels@sbcglobal.net Vertical Lures- Home of the Jig-X and Tube-X www.verticallures.com / Field Staff

They killed LadyBird Lake too. I will still give it a shot tonight. After tonight I will stick to carp fishing in Austin... Bass fishing everywhere else in Texas.
    LTE for the win

I know it's a bad situation, however I fished the drawdown 3 times with decent results overall. I fished from a canoe fishing within a mile or two of 360 bridge in either direction. The first two trips were fish after fish-all caught on rattletraps. The 3rd time was a bust with only one white bass and one dink. All the bass I caught were fat and healthy looking. Biggest around 6.5 lbs. I know the lake has been ruined from what it used to be but it was nice to see some healthy bass
    BASS72 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Think it's time to start calling Lake Austin "the DD", for "Drainage Ditch". There is virtually zero sign of life in the water. No bluegills, minnows, baitfish. Last year at this time we were marking tons of shad and literally a mile of white bass along the bluffs.....now nothing. I fished hard on Sunday for about 4 hours, the only movement was the occasional carp breaching. I fished the drawdown 4 times, hitting the most productive spots in the past drawdowns, I caught about 2 or 3 dinks each time....largest was a 4-7. I caught two fish schooling chasing under the bluff wall. I did see some kids catch a 4lb bass at the mouth of Panther on CUT BAIT!!!

The water Sunday had that ugly brown tint, with a lot of the patches of the sticky bubbles. It's only going to get worse with the avalanche of wake board boats on the horizon.

i'd be in favor of draining the entire lake and just starting over
    Friday night the water was extremely clear and still. It was the first time I've been able to get a good look at the fishery with my LEDs since the draw down. It was pretty active although there is no doubt the carp are still running the show. Besides the all the grassies (which I killed many) I saw lots of whites, cats, gar and baitfish. I even almost accidentally shot a redfish. It was so big I thought it was a carp. Probably 22-24 inches long. To Alans point, the pollution and boat traffic is really hampering any comeback LA stands to make. I can shoot every damn carp in that lake and it won't matter if it's full of bear cans and wakeboarding destruction. Bull Creek looks like a sewer drain off. That being said, I've been consistently catching 3-7 lb bass at night and they look much healthier than they did 2 years ago. There is also plenty of whites and baitfish to be had. There are some inlets where when I turn on the LEDs, the whites and minnows go nuts.

I know I sound like a broken record but what bugs me the most is that the city and TPWD are not even trying to help with the carp. They lift the ban which I'm thankful for but they give us no means of disposal. Like what the hell am I supposed to do with 25 huge grass carp? They clearly don't have anyone researching the fishery progression or lack there of when the TPWD website says LMB fishery is "excellent". And when you read the drawdown took place in order to "aid in curbing the growth of nuisance aquatic vegetation such as hydrilla and Eurasian watermilfoil."

trump-hat.jpg

Sponsored Links