Rockport 2/11 - 2/12
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Like Tree11Likes
  • 11 Post By langlowe9

Thread: Rockport 2/11 - 2/12

Rockport 2/11 - 2/12

A buddy of mine owns two waterfront condos in Rockport. This weekend a mutual friend of ours and I joined him for a little salt water fishing action.

Friday night:
    We rolled into Rockport around 7:30pm. After getting unloaded we all sat on his back deck talking and having a few beverages.
    He has two underwater lights installed and I sat there watching the shadows of small pin fish and listening to the slurping of trout. I couldn't resist and started throwing his little deck setup which consisted of dual baby swim baits. Over the next hour I caught two small sand trout and two small specks. In bed at 11.

Saturday:
    Up at 7:30 and straight to the bait shop. He already had a bag of frozen cut large mullet ready to go but to be safe we bought a quart of shrimp and bag of fresh finger mullet.
    Now off to the boat slip to retrieve his boat. Which just so happens to be a really bad ass 27' Shallow Sport X3. Filled that bad boy up with gas and off we went. It was now around 9am.

It was a one hour ride to the spot he wanted to fish. When we got there he drove into the cove on plane in 10" of water.
    We anchored the boat to the shore, put both power poles down, and hiked across the dunes to the gulf.

We waded out and started fishing the first cut. The waves were really rolling in and my waders were worthless. In short order I was soaking wet.
    I was using my Pflugerville punch special. St. Croix Avid-X 7'4" Heavy-Fast topped with a Abu Revo STX 8.0:1 and 65lb Suffix 862. It was rigged very simply with a 2oz drop weight and 3/0 octopus hook pushed through cut mullet.

After about 20 minutes it was on. For the next 3 1/2 hours we caught bull red after bull red. Not a single undersized red was caught. Throw in the mix of flat heads and croakers and we caught a lot of fish. 18 bull reds between the three of us. Largest red we kept was 27 5/8 and all three of us had our limit within the first hour.

Once I got back on shore my waders were full of water from my thighs down.

Spent a little time on the boat eating cold Popeye's chicken, cooling off, and getting hydrated.
    Talked to a few other boats that showed up and then back to the boat slip and condo we went.

That night on the back deck, using the small swim bait setup, I caught a few more baby sand trout and a small sheepshead.

Sunday:
    My buddy had booked a guide service for Sunday. He had used them before and they are Cedar Bayou Outfitters "Capt. Jeff Sims". We had four fishermen total. Our group of three along with another friend of my buddy.

Before I get started on this part of the trip. I have to say that Capt. Jeff was top notch. He was very friendly, patient, and knew his stuff. I couldn't recommend him more, plus he is originally from Pflugerville "imagine that".
    https://www.facebook.com/search/top/...u%20outfitters
    Cedar Bayou Outfitters - Rockport Texas! Capt. Jeff Sims - Fishing & Flounder Gigging Guide, Duck Hunting Outfitter, Campouts, Kayak Transport and Eco-Nature Trips | CAPT. JEFF SIMS IS USCG LICENSED/TPWD CERTIFIED.

We met Capt. Jeff at 7:30am and shoved off at 8. At the first location he throw out the first shrimp on popping cork as a demonstration and to test a reel he just had repaired. Two pops later and the first speck trout was on. It was small but a good sign none the less. For the next 8 hours all we did was catch fish. We would go to a new spot and catch a few keeper specks and a lot of smalls. Move to a new spot catch a few keeper specks and them move on.

A little after noon the bite slowed so we went after reds. Caught rat red after rat red but nothing to keep.

Capt. Jeff recommended one last spot for specks. Next thing I know we hit the mother load. At one point we had four on at one time. Everyone is hooking up and we are catching our fair share of keepers. I saw a mud swirl and I ended up catching three nice black drums back to back.

Next thing we knew the three quarts of shrimp are almost gone. We got down to the last two shrimps and my buddy and I hook them up. Bam, we both have fish on and they are both keeper specks.

The day ended up with 4 fishermen limiting out on speck trout and three black drum. We must have caught 1 keeper speck for every 6-8 undersized. We caught a lot of trout that trip. Not to bad for the off-season. Under my left arm is bruised along with my left rib cage.

Headed back to the condo with a bag of trout. Loaded up the truck with the trout and three full vacuum sealed bags of reds and drove back to Pflugerville.

It was a really nice weekend and great Valentine's gift from the wife.

1.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG
    Last edited by langlowe9; 02-15-2017 at 05:04 PM.

Cowabunga! Awesome report, Todd. Bent rods the whole time, huh? Amazing, for sure! Can't wait to hear the rest of the story!

Now that's a great report. Good times for sure.

4. Remove Advertisements
    AustinBassFishing.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the report. Sounds like a great trip. Really good reading here. Thanks
    FISH ON

is that capt jeff's boat in the pic?

Quote Originally Posted by just plain bill View Post
    is that capt jeff's boat in the pic?
    That was my buddies X3. Capt Jeff had a 24 center console bay boat with Merc 250 on the back.

Sponsored Links