POC 2 Vibrio cases
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: POC 2 Vibrio cases

POC 2 Vibrio cases

Posted today on 2coolfishing.com, 2 new cases of Vibrio from the past weekend in Port O'connor. 1st case, fisherman was fishing the area of the Cedars. The second case, the fisherman fished (Sat & Sun) the Ranch House shoreline, Boggy 2, City Slickers & Grass Island. I don't know any of the details & I don't know where these locations are, maybe you may know where they are. I know several of you go to POC, just wanted to bring this to your attention.
    RO likes this.

That covers a lot of the area around POC. However, it would be easy to hit all those spots in the course of a day's fishing, especially if you don't find them.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the fresh water coming in? It has been getting warmer too. I also heard on the radio that the fresh water may impact the oystering this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Donf View Post

I wonder if it has anything to do with the fresh water coming in?
    This would be my guess^^

All the incoming water has made for some remarkably high tides this year. Vibrio thrives in the brackish backwater marshes and all this flow has really flushed a lot of water that would otherwise be land locked under normal circumstances
    Pop N Cork likes this.
    "Shit is not like it once was"- AggieGreg

4. Remove Advertisements
    AustinBassFishing.com
    Advertisements

is that the flesh eating virus? I cut my foot on an oyster shell down there (far west Matty) a little over a week ago. I flushed the cut with fresh water and did not get back in to wade for the rest of the trip

This happens every year at the coast this time of year. You have to have a weak immune system like me. I'm on a medication (Humira) for my psoriasis. I will not go to the coast in the heat of the summer ever again.

Most cases happen in the back lakes. If you have a weak immune system you have a good chance of getting the V virus. Another place it happens a lot is at fish cleaning facility's like froggys in POC. A lady's that worked there last year got it.

Your chances at ranch house shoreline, cross reef, SAB, South Shoreline, coast Guard station etc where the water is cooler your chances of the V virus greatly declines.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Warren View Post
    is that the flesh eating virus? I cut my foot on an oyster shell down there (far west Matty) a little over a week ago. I flushed the cut with fresh water and did not get back in to wade for the rest of the trip
    Matt, carry a bottle of bleach with you. After you get out of the water put it on your cut immediately. It burns but works.

RO
    Quote Originally Posted by Pop N Cork View Post
    Matt, carry a bottle of bleach with you. After you get out of the water put it on your cut immediately. It burns but works.
    I'd probably chose hydrogen peroxide as a disinfectant on open cuts. Quality sting and bactericidal without the caustic toxic qualities of bleach. Bleach can also easily blind you if splashed in the eye, so be cautious with it.

Jess is correct that Vibrio fulnificus is more likely to infect and kill those with weakened immune systems. Also beware those who drink heavily with liver disease and diabetics. Don't wade fish with an open wound/cut.

Vibrio is actually a bacterium not a virus. Not trying to be a phallus, but getting the details right...

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/07/health...icus-bacteria/
    Last edited by RO; 06-15-2016 at 08:16 PM.

thanks for the feedback fellas
    Pop N Cork likes this.

Good lite breathable waders for me. My regular flats uniform.
    J-Hooked likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RO View Post
    Not trying to be a phallus, but ...

Vibrio vulnificus: A summertime bacteria - CNN.com
    Hey, you rectified the fallacy!
    RO likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links