report request on fresh water getting to SA Bay
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Red Charlie

Thread: report request on fresh water getting to SA Bay

report request on fresh water getting to SA Bay

Does anyone know how long it will take for all this fresh water going down the Guad to get to San Antonio bay and or if it even matters to the fishing? I am thinking about going down there during week of 22nd, I suspect that the fresh water will be arriving about then.

I googled this quite a bit and couldn't get any answers except to stay out of swift water.

It definitely matters for the fishing, and I would avoid it for the next few months. Last summer was very similar to this and SA Bay was too fresh (almost drinkable) most of the summer, at least from my experience. I haven't been since we got all the rains this year, but if I were you I would focus on POC spots near the pass. We did quite well in Big Pocket, the J-hook area, and the Hump, just to name a few. Also the surf if weather conditions allow.

On the flip side all this freshwater is very healthy for the bay system as a whole, and we should have good fishing for years to come.
    J-Hooked likes this.

I launched out of seadrift last monday (6-6-2016) Conditions looked fairly normal and navigation was safe and the water was high. Saw some hyacinth floating which get gets flushed out of the Guadalupe and upper estuaries, so there already is a huge presence of fresh water. We tasted the water at my spot north of the confluence of the Guadalupe river and Guadalupe bay. The water didn't taste salty and there was a minimal foam trail behind my boat when running, so yeah it's really fresh. We still managed to catch a 29 inch red that we released and saw shrimp jumping and bait. We didn't fish the bay for trout. Not sure how the salinity will affect the trout fishing in SA bay, but you never know till you try. Salinity at POC was more salty/ normal. Water levels were as high as I've ever seen them

4. Remove Advertisements
    AustinBassFishing.com
    Advertisements

Most of my experience is in the POC area, Jhook, Salauria, etc anyway and it makes sense that the closer you get to the Pass or the Jetty things will be more normal since the Gulf goes in and out with the tides. Last time I went to POC it wasn't obvious that I could get out of Caballa as the channels have moved around or filled in.

OTOH, you wouldn't want to go to E Matty as the Colorado and Brazos should be dumping a lot of water there.

I agree, long term this is a good thing. I've heard stories that the Tarpon mostly disappeared after all these central Texas lakes were made back in 30's or maybe its due to the diversion of the water to rice farming.

Caballa? you mean Charlies? Or pass cavallo? It is getting really silted in at Charlies and that area is a challenge. Pass cavallo you just have to watch what you're doing. What kind of boat are you running?

yeah I meant Pass Cavallo, I just remember before I could pretty much just go for it without much focus just watching sonar. before I had hung close to the right going out. This was like 7 years ago. Last time I went it wasn't obvious where the channels were and the current was high and winds blowing so I just decided it wasn't worth the effort. the boat is a 19ft Kenner tunnel so it can go shallow enough that it scares me if I start to think about where I can stop especially when I see clumps of oyster shells going by.

Sponsored Links