Portland - sturgeon
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Portland - sturgeon

Portland - sturgeon

Awesome day of fishing on Friday. Wife and I landed maybe 50 sturgeon. On the way home. Full report to follow tomorrow
    image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg
    Last edited by Fuzz; 05-01-2016 at 04:59 PM.

Awesome man!! I've caught some up in South Dakota but not big.

Way to go! Must be sore. I thought you weren't supposed to take them out of the water if they were over a certain size? Or maybe that's just where I was fishing in Oregon....

4. Remove Advertisements
    AustinBassFishing.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Travisheals View Post
    Way to go! Must be sore. I thought you weren't supposed to take them out of the water if they were over a certain size? Or maybe that's just where I was fishing in Oregon....
    Yup my left arm is still sore. It's all catch and release but the old slot where we were was 38-54 inches fork length (not total length). You're not supposed to remove from the water fish over 54 inches that's why there are no pics of a few bigger ones (got some video alongside the boat though). None of the fish above exceeded the limit. The bigger fish in the pic was right at 53. something and we actually only took it out as we noticed it was tagged and wanted to get the info to report it.
    Pop N Cork likes this.

We’ve got some friends that moved to Portland about a year ago and have always invited us to visit. So my wife had a west coast work trip and I met up with her at the end of the week. Got into Portland close to midnight on Thursday and was at the boat ramp at 6:40 am. Our guide was Dan Ponciano who was recommended by a fellow ABFer and I definitely recommend him as well. Just an all around good guy, laid back, quiet, knows his stuff and he’s got some real stories.

We left from the Marine Park boat ramp on the Washington side of the river and went about 5 miles downstream to an area called Kelly Point. It’s at the western end of Hayden Island, close to the mouth of the Willamette River and with the Columbia River having to go around the island and a major tributary entering nearby the area is full of currents and pretty deep about 85 fow on average. Originally we planned on spring salmon but the night before I talked to Dan and he said the spring salmon run was pretty weak this year but he thought we would do well on sturgeon and I told him that was fine by me. We anchored up and threw out 3 rods baited with herring. Dan had top quality gear and everything on the boat was just right. We were using Shimano Torium reels and Tallus rods so offshore tackle basically. Didn’t have to wait much more than 10-15 mins for the first fish to hit and after that it never really stopped. Never went more than 20 mins or so without at least having a fish interested in a bait. We used both herring and smelt as bait. Most common sized fish was probably 36-40 inches with several over 40 inches and a few that were over 60 and probably getting close to 80 lbs.

This had to be one of the best days fishing that I’ve had. Even Dan commented how unusual it was to go to one spot and consistently catch fish all day. Initially he planned to go up the Willamette once the tide picked up but it didn’t make sense to leave fish to go find fish so we stayed put. We had several double hookups and a triple (you can see a 60+ fish in the pic). The triple happened early in the day and after that Dan stuck with just two rods! I’m right handed but fish “left handed” and we were using right handed reels so my left arm is still sore. I probably reeled in 30+ fish as my wife needed some recuperation time after she landed one and she probably brought in 12-15 including a 5 ft plus bruiser that we had to ditch the anchor and follow around for a bit as it was running like a freight train.

It only slowed up at the very end of the day. We caught our last fish and pulled our rods from the water just after 2:00 pm and left very very satisfied. Side note, it got as warm as 54 F and there was a steady drizzle for hours.

13147807_1040535102697800_5868469428445577074_o.jpgSturgeon.jpg27751394.jpg

Hot damn! Great report. Thanks for sharing. Congrats!

Great pics....I miss the pacific northwest
    erickso1 likes this.
    LTE for the win

Was a great trip. I'm surprised my wife didn't complain about the weather. Only complaint she has are some wicked bruises on her thigh from the rod. If you ever happen to be in the northwest it's worth checking out.
    erickso1 likes this.

I miss the PNW too. I grew up upriver in the Tri-Cities, but our house was right on the water. Spent a lot of time skipping rocks on those banks.
    Pop N Cork likes this.

I'm moving up there later this summer. Took a job in Beaverton. Gonna find a spread out in the sticks somewhere and release my inner squatch.
    Pop N Cork likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links