Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Putting in Yak, POC?

Putting in Yak, POC?

Gonna hit up Port Oconnor for the first time in a couple weeks. Just wondering if anybody has any advice on where to put in with the kayaks?

I would like to know how that works out, I have been planning on making the trek myself. or maybe to Oyster lake.

I'm not even sure exactly where we're going yet? Either Poc or Port Lavaca? Only fished bay twice ever in the yak so I'm not sure what baits to use either? Lord knows I've got more than enough baits so I should be ok in that department, but I'm gonna go ahead and order a few more just in case!

I'll post a report when I get back.

There should be several ABFers to help you... My only wintertime experience is catching redfish at welder flats off ICW. Fish the ICW right at the welders flat opening and back inside. Go to this website for location of welder flats and launching locations.Fishing Maps and Spots for Port O'Connor
    chrismunn likes this.

Another great link for detailed info is at https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...gym-xGHuvqNpWA
    chrismunn likes this.

The Fishing Center in POC is the place to launch a kayak. From there you're directly across from the cut and can access some very good fishing quite quickly. It is listed in the attachment Robert posted above as are numerous POC launches. I would think the POC paddling trail would be a pretty fun trip and depending on weather you might even be able to paddle in on an overnight to Matagorda. That would be a long but cool paddle. Depending on wind, you can also launch at and fish the North (Bay) side of the little jetties right out of POC. I have a friend who does very well just wading in from there. I've never fished Welders but it would probably be pretty cool in a kayak. Not sure how long of a paddle it would be though from Charlies. If launching at Port Lavaca, I would probably look at launching at 6 Mile Park and access the Placedo Creek area. Depending on wind, upper Lavaca bay can be very muddy. You could also run over to Olivia and launch into Keller. Or you could run down to Indianola and fish the Powderhorn. Lot of options.

Kayaking Destinations Upper Lavaca Bay

Apparently you can launch near the bridge at 1289 to access the upper end of Powderhorn. That area supposedly hold some good reds.
    RO, chrismunn and WhyteRhyno321 like this.

I would put in at Charlie's out of Seadrift and fish shoalwater. There is some good places around there and less traffic.

We did the kayak thing in POC and we won't ever take kayaks back there,too dangerous. We went on one of the TPWD kayak trails. We launched at the ramp paddeled into mary's cut. It's kind of narrow but the problem began when 200 or so boats came flying down the cut. We were close to the shoreline but we were almost run over several times. The captain would be talking and not looking where he was going. This happened several times and we spent most of the time waving our paddles in the air to get their attention. Then they cut hard to miss you and swamp you. After about noon you had to worry about boats going both directions. I can't believe TPWD thinks thats a good place for kayaks. It's not. My wife worked for TPWD for 25 years and she called the people who put these kayaks trails in and asked what the hell they were thinking. They admitted it's a fairly dangerous trail and suggested we launch from the old road that goes over powderhorn. Other towns I go to usually have several places you can launch your yak but POC screams of private property, Keep OUt. In my opinion if you don't have a motor boat thats not the place to go.

Also try fishing the cut in to Big Boggy. Caught some good limit with only paddling a few hundred yards
    chrismunn and tmart like this.
    "Shit is not like it once was"- AggieGreg

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ads