Bass Fishing Forum banner

Putting in Yak, POC?

6K views 39 replies 13 participants last post by  chrismunn 
#1 ·
Gonna hit up Port Oconnor for the first time in a couple weeks. Just wondering if anybody has any advice on where to put in with the kayaks?

#29 ·
Yes and yes. If you're looking for cheapest, you might look to Tigrett Real Estate. They have some little houses that might be a little cheaper. Clark's is $125 for a room. But the value there is a boat slip which you don't need. Haven't priced Poco lately but probably similar. Look to Tigrett for options. Search Real Estate Sales in the Calhoun, Caracol, Dolphin Point Area

Of course, camping is cheapest.

#30 · (Edited)
Chris,

stay in seadrift. When your launching from charlies bait camp, there is no reason to drive all the way to poc. seadrift is 8 miles from charlies. poc is 15 miles further down the highway from charlies. Stay in seadrift and charlies ramp and back to hotel is 16 miles round trip. stay in poc, charlies ramp is 30 miles round trip and hotels costs more. I stay at the seadrifter. It's not very fancy but it'll do. It's right on the water, lighted pier down the street, and the fish cleaning table is across from the parking lot. rooms are 50. they have apartments for 75 per night. Room number 4 is haunted so might want to avoid that one. They did say that the ghost does not float through the wall. It's just that room. There are other places in seadrift but I like seadrifter cause of location and price

I also don't think your going have major powerboat issues while in shoalwater. Just be careful going from charlies to shoal water. That area can be busy but its a short paddle

#31 ·
Dude, $50 rooms WITH fantasmas? I'm so in! Seadrifter it is.

I'm not too picky when it comes to a room, unless the ceiling is so moldy that its visibly sagging and probably about to collapse from being wet all the time like the ficking Monterrey Motel across from Bob Hall in Corpus. Fucking **** hole!

#35 ·
Just looked at the weather forecast for the upcoming week in POC. Lookin like cloud cover and spotty showers with very mild temps all week long and then sunny and clear skies with no chance of rain on the day I'll be fishing. I feel like this is actually a bad thing. I'm guessing the nice weather can be attributed to high pressure which wont help, but I have no clue what the fish wil be doing under those circumstances?

#38 ·
Guide nope, just a guy that with 3.5 yr old twins, one with special needs... needless to say I don't get out much. My point was if you cherry pick your days at the coast you will never go because there's always something that just doesn't look right on paper (computer screen these days)... You should enjoy your time out as much as possible because one day your life might take a 180 and doing "what you want to do" is pretty far down the priority list! POC is a great place to yak, been doing it for years! Work drains, shorelines, and find some oysters!

Reactions: chrismunn
#39 ·
sorry my weak attempt at humor. Its just that I've heard guides say that when someone asks them what is the best time to go.

You are right about the coast though. There's always something unexpected going on and expected too (wind). We went to CC bay and rented a floating house only to be holed up in there for 2 days as the wind was 30mph the whole time. It was fun watching the new Navy pilots run their practice sorties over us. Gotta keep trying.

Last time we went to poc weather was perfect but there was no tidal movement and the tide level was lower than I'd ever seen. I wonder if this slow meandering front will make it down there. I suspect the whites up in San Gabriel are less hungry now.

#40 ·
I used to go whenever i wanted, now I have to go whenever I can. I would never have planned a trip this far out in the past. I would have just decided mid week that I wanted to make a run down for the weekend. Now I'm single ( kicked that fucking super awesome ass best chick in the whole world outta my house ) and I have 2 young kids to deal with. Priorities definitely change... I kinda hope the wind blows me onto Matagorda island and I get no cell service and then we get a hard Northern that keeps me out there for a few days before I can paddle back to Charlies! Universe, if you're listening, help a brotha out!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.