Bass Fishing Forum banner

all about sand flea's

10K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  phikapPHIL 
#1 ·
#3 ·
There's plenty of different versions rakes for sale online via google search. Found this on another forum with tips on making your own Homemade Sand Flea Rake Seems easy enough to make your own out of any number of things.

One time I saw a guy who had this thing that he would put on top of the little bubble cones they form in the surf. It would suck a bunch of sand into it and the Sand Flea along with it. It was like a larger version of one of those water guns for the pool that are just long tubes. Don't know if he bought it or made it. Seems like it could be a better option as to not "over fish" the sand fleas.

I've never used them as bait, but I think I'll give it a try next week when I head down there, if I can catch some.

#5 ·
those used to be my main bait while perch fishing on the shores of the pacific. i always just stuck my hand into the sand and dug out a handfull while a wave was going out. always caught 'em, and they always caught fish! its like a free and endless source of bait while suf fishing.

sand crabs and mudsuckers from off the levees in the bay. we used to use small segments of pile worms to catch little mudsuckers on the marina side of the levee, then hook them up and chuck 'em out onto the bay side of the levee for striper and stugeon.

#9 ·
I make mine using O-rings and PVC. We fly to the moon on O-rings. I have used mine for over 15 years and have never changed the O-ring. You can buy them in Port A and at Roy's in Corpus. They are called the creature catcher and they cost 20 bucks. The problem with those is that the plunger is made out of steel washers and leather. I don't need to tell you what happens to leather after a few saltwater soakings but they will only work for maybe 2 trips before the leather falls apart. The one online with the pvc test plug looks adjustable and pratical with a rubber plunger. However I have never seen ghost shrimp in the bay area. The holes there are fiddler crabs. The ghost shrimp will be where the waves wash to shore and fall back. Any sand seen coming out of a hole is a sure sign that one is in there but you don't always see the sand. Remember on the PINS seashore it is illeagal to suck ghost shrimp there. Not in the law books or TPWD books but the new manager for PINS, (Escondito) decided to ban ghost shrimping all by himself. No they don't give you any rules on paper when you drive in, your just suppose to know because EVERYONE has a computer and can look it up on the pins website. Did you'all know that?
What a dickhead!!!

Marshall

#15 ·
I was able to catch several sand fleas using my hands and a bucket this past weekend. None of them were anywhere near as big as the ones in those pictures though, so I didn't try using them for bait. I certainly see the value in a rake like that now because it didn't take long for my fingers to get sore.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.