Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help with Tips for Galveston Surf Fishing

I have rented this house for me and the Famliy. Going to be there this Friday for a week.

As you can see from this veiw from the Deck, there is water over there.

You know what that means ;D Gotta wet a line... My Bro Fob has me set up with a 7.6' Kistler with a Shimano Callcutta Reel.. We were figuring on spooling it with 15lb Big game.

Any tips on Surf fishing would be a help. I know chances would seem to be good with live shirmp on a cork, anything else.. Berkely gulp saltwater stuff maybe??

Thanks,
    EA

Administrator

Re: Help with Tips for Galveston Surf Fishing

EA,

Try this site http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/ . Its Texas Saltwater reports.

You could post up here Im sure someone would be willing to help you out. I get alot of my Salt reports from this Forum.

Take Care
    H.H.J.

That sounds like fun for a week. The boys are gonna have a blast. You are gonna need a vacation from your vacation.

Administrator

Berkley gulp stuff works, I have 3 or 4 new bags of the skrimps if you want them...my bro and I caught reds all day long off the fishing pier down in rockport last visit using those things...

I don't know about the surf thought....I think you may need some 3, 4, or 5 ounce pyramid sinkers and big live croaker or shad on a carolina rig type setup...never know what you are going to catch there!

Shrimp and cork if it's calm enough, otherwise you might want to add some weight, almost like a carolina rig, I use braid or mono for main line, then barrel weight and swivel, then flouro leader and bait hook. Length of leader and size of weight dependent on surf movement and wind but this method works great for me. The barrel swivel will roll on the bottom without twisting up your line. Ask bait shop if mullet or shrimp has been better, they'll tell you.

Don't forget about the gold spoon either, classic fish catcher especially if you see mullet in the surf. Your rod set up is super sweet so that should be fun. If the surf is calm, a lot of times the fish are all the way up in the first and second gut. Anyway, have fun out there, wish I was going but I'll be down in Mata pretty soon, got to go visit the fam.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishless-N-Austin
    . You are gonna need a vacation from your vacation.
    I wish,,, leave to Japan for a week the next moring I get back :-[

I WILL have a nice tan though!!

Thanks for the info Grnhead, you are right, who know what roams beyond the surf. I gotta hook into somethin'

I will make pals with the old timers at the local bait shops, prob my best bet.

EA

EA, Clunkers is right on the money. Sometimes the best fishing is when you are standing in ankle deep water watching pods of bait getting thrashed in the first gut! By this time the trout should be moving back out to the surf...man those tide runners put up one heck of a fight! I'll swing by later and bring over the salt tackle that I have...should be everything you need to chase keeper sized spots or dots in the surf, bay or off the piers.

And noticed I said "keeper" sized, if you hook into a large bull red good luck getting it in on a popping rod and 250 sized reel ;D

If you go for the saltwater Gulp shrimp, go for the "New Penny" in 3 or 4" with a 1/16 or 1/8 oz jighead. I have found that color to be productive.
    When people realize what is really important in life there will be a shortage of fishing rods.

Administrator

Everyone is right about the Berkley "New Penny" shrimp. *It is a killer bait. *

If the surf is heavy use a surf rod with a heavy spider weight and a 1 or 2 hook bottom rig. * I use cut bait or live finger mullet for bait. * Kind of like a giant drop shot rig. *Wade out up to your chest, then cast it out to the 2nd gut or channel, then wade back in and put the rig in a rod holder and wait. *

If you want to borrow my surf rig for the weekend you are more than welcome to it. * It's a Shimano Calcutta 200B on a large catfish pole; ugly stick. *I can pre rig it for you if you want. *Just give me a ring.

-Rude-

Time for another fish fry?! :

Ads