Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fishing and crabbing at South Padre Island

Will head to the coast this coming labor day weekend.
    Never fished saltwater before so I got lots of questions.

1. Where to fish at LLM and SPI?
    I heard Lower Laguna Madre is like fishing heaven. But do you really have to wade. I don't have a wader or anything, can I just jump in the water with my swimshorts on (What are the chances of getting stung by a stingray in shallow water)? Or can I fish from the bank?

We will stay at Brownsville the first day. Anyone fished at Laguna Atascosa National Wildlife Refuge before?
    Is north jettie the only place to fish on the island? I am afraid there are lot of people fishing there, right? Are there any other jetties or piers that are good for fishing and less people?

2. What lures to use?
    I bought quite a few lures. MirrOlure 51; Heddon Super Spook; Gold Spoon; TTF trout/red killer; DOA and Gulp Shrimp.
    Which of them are more effective for jetty fishing? Is it necessary to bring a cast net and catch some live bait?

3. Where to crab?
    Are there lots of blue crabs in the water at this time? Where can I find them? Jetties? Piers?

4. Anyplace to fish and keep the wives busy at the same time.
    The wives are not that into fishing. Is there anywhere we can go fishing and swimming (or maybe diving or crabbing)?

Re: Fishing and crabbing at South Padre Island

The best lures to use right now seem to be the Gulp alive shrimp New Penny color. But unfortunatley all the fish have been caught up north. Cullen's House, 3 Islands, spoiled banks and which are up North Near the Refuge. You can wade fish anywhere on the bayside of the island but the best bet is behind the SPI Convention Center. You can walk for a long time in the water cuz the water there is very shallow. Many people fly fish in that area. But unless you are on a boat right now they are not having much luck wade fishing. You can fish at night at the fishing pier on Port Isabel's side,next to it they have a pretty good restaraunt and near there is a pretty cool bar/grill place called Pelican station. Either way anywhere you will go will be packed since it will be labor day weekend. I suggest you fish early in the morning to have the best chances of catching to late afternoon. If you want to wade fish there's a town called Laguna Vista. Right there at the curb is really good fishing for reds, just buy some fresh dead mullet, cut it up and fish bottom. Or just use the lures(gulp alive) even the spoon works.

Quote Originally Posted by 7C656B6324110
    The best lures to use right now seem to be the Gulp alive shrimp New Penny color. But unfortunatley all the fish have been caught up north. Cullen's House, 3 Islands, spoiled banks and which are up North Near the Refuge. You can wade fish anywhere on the bayside of the island but the best bet is behind the SPI Convention Center. You can walk for a long time in the water cuz the water there is very shallow. Many people fly fish in that area. But unless you are on a boat right now they are not having much luck wade fishing. You can fish at night at the fishing pier on Port Isabel's side,next to it they have a pretty good restaraunt and near there is a pretty cool bar/grill place called Pelican station. Either way anywhere you will go will be packed since it will be labor day weekend. I suggest you fish early in the morning to have the best chances of catching to late afternoon. If you want to wade fish there's a town called Laguna Vista. Right there at the curb is really good fishing for reds, just buy some fresh dead mullet, cut it up and fish bottom. Or just use the lures(gulp alive) even the spoon works.
    Thanks for the response. I found Cullen's channel and 3 island but where are the spoiled banks? Are they easy access?

RO

Spoil banks and spoil islands line the intracoastal waterway (ICW) all along the Texas coast. *If you look at a map of the LLM/SPI, just focus on the ICW and you'll see the spoils lining the ICW. *Many predator fish hang out there because of good currents, bait, structure, and easy access to deep water.

Regarding wading, it's too warm for waders this time of year, plus they provide NO protection from stingrays, which will punch right through any wader. *If you're worried about stingrays, get some Kevlar shin guards and boots, or rayguard boots. *Long light wading pants are good to keep stinging jellyfish off your legs. *Longsleeve wading shirts are good to protect you from the sun/UV light.

Get a good hook-n-line map of the LLM and go to the marked spots. *You could spend all weekend on the spoils and do pretty well. *Good luck. *Post your report when you get back!

P.S. if you just want to catch fish, throw the gulps under a popping cork 12-18 inches down from the cork. Pop, pop, then wait a few seconds and repeat...

RO

P.S.S. I find it best to leave the wives at home when serious about fishing. Family vacations are great, but don't try to have a good family trip and a good fishing trip simultaneously. The conflicts may render neither good. Unless your wife fishes...

Yup RO is right about the spoil banks. As far as wade fishing you can always drag your feet to avoid the stingrays. As many years as I fished and lived there I have yet to see or hear about people get hit by a stingray. Most incidents happened at the piers or on the boats.

I have a few cousins and friends who are guides so I get all the information from them. All the other bays like South Bay, Mesquite Flats, and those on the south end are not doing so well. All the fish are running up North and the Cullen channel has very murky water so reds tend to hang out there more. If you can get live shrimp thats good but make sure its nice size or you won't be catching the big fish. Gulp is still your best bet but around murky water you may need a brighter color.

If you do some pier fishing, get some glow in the dark ghost minnows. They are already rigged and 2 come in a pack. Or the silver with white bass assassin worms tx rigged work as well. If using live bait just use a size 6 or 8 treble hook with a split shot weight 12 inches above. Depending on wind or current you may need 2 split shots.

Have any pics?

Any pier will hold blue crabs - we always crabbed at Conn Brown pier in Aransas pass at night, but find a free pier with lights and you will find crab. Try different depths, but we had the best luck in the middle of the pier where its 4-6 feet deep. Go to HEB, buy some chicken necks and have a blast.
    I never drive faster than I can see=> besides=> it\'s all in the reflexes.

Another option is to go surf fishing. Especially if you have a 4wd vehicle. There are tarpon in the surf right now, and it's only going to get better as fall gets closer. Look for birds and deep first guts... There's also tarpon and snook at the jetties right now. Hop out to the end and chunk that mirrolure or a big rattle trap. Unless you have access to a boat, I'd forget about cullens, 3 islands, or the spoil banks. You can wade out behind the convention center, but you'd probably have more action in the surf. Plus you can bring the family and it's just a day at the beach for them....

Quote Originally Posted by 59404E4601340
    Looks like 3 islands are not connected to the mainland. Do I have to wade to get there? How deep is the water?

Ads