Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Do you freeze your fillets in water?

Do you freeze your fillets in water?

I was taught that filling a ziploc of fillets with water was the best way to preserve freshness and prevent freezer-burn.

What do ya'll think/do?

thanks,

Carl

JT
    Yes, put enough water in the bag to cover the fillets, then squeeze the remaining air out before freezing. I've kept fillets frozen this way for as long as a year and they still tasted fresh with no freezer burn.
    RO and DesertWitch like this.
    "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading." - Henny Youngman

RO
    That's a good method to prevent freezer burn, esp. for a normal freeze/thraw autoamtically defrosting freezer, like most of us have contained in or part of our refrigerators. My brother (and many others) swears by the vaccuum packing method, although I haven't yet found space in my garage to put one, but will someday. Vaccuum packed fillets certainly require less space in the freezer than freezing fillets in water, and they get no freezer burn. But the water method certainly works.

I use vacuum and it works very well as long as it's not one of those hand held battery powered deals that uses the special bags with the valve. Those are about worthless. Every bag leaks and lets air in, in about 2 weeks.

If you are going to use vacuum, get a heat seal unit that uses the heavy bags.
    RO, BrandonA and mjv80 like this.
    Pro Wrestling is real Mr Anderson.

I freeze mine in Dos Equis, cause "I am the Most Interesting ROOFISH in the WORLD"

My boss said she added some lemon to the water when they freeze filets. I havent tried it but have heard it works good.

I've got a good vacuum sealer but I still prefer water as it's just easier and I have plenty of freezer space so that's not an issue either. My problem is I tend to put too many filets in each bag and often I'm thawing a bag just for my wife and I. She's a light eater which means I end up eating about 10 filets.

Carl my family has always frozen big messes of fish to prevent freezer burn. As long as the fish is completely covered in water it will not get freezer burn anytime soon. It certainly keeps the fish fresh much longer.

If you drink milk, then save up your jugs when they are empty. Cut the top of the jugs off on the front side right about the handle line, basically make the hole much larger but keep your handle in tact. Drop your fish filets into the jug and then fill with water until all the meat is covered, then freeze. When ready to eat take out the jug and cut the plastic off, place large block of ice and fish in sink and let thaw. This is just the way my dad always did it, so that's how I learned to do it. Bags cost money and the jugs were free, so I am sure that was the main reason we did it this way.
    RO, Dez, Benny20b and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by tmart View Post
    I've got a good vacuum sealer but I still prefer water as it's just easier and I have plenty of freezer space so that's not an issue either. My problem is I tend to put too many filets in each bag and often I'm thawing a bag just for my wife and I. She's a light eater which means I end up eating about 10 filets.
    Here is a tip I learned from my last trip from the coast. take the fillets you want to eat at one sitting, for our family of 3 it is usually 4-5. Take those fillet's and wrap them in Saran wrap, then take all your saran wrapped fillet's and put them in one giant vacuum bag. You can open the bag, take out the number of frozen fillet's you need and then vacuum and seal the bag again. Since I started this method I have seriouly reduced the amount of wasted/freezer burned fish.
    NjTexan, RO and Sticky Business like this.
    If it involves my rod and something wet, I'm in.

Quote Originally Posted by bpolish View Post
    Here is a tip I learned from my last trip from the coast. take the fillets you want to eat at one sitting, for our family of 3 it is usually 4-5. Take those fillet's and wrap them in Saran wrap, then take all your saran wrapped fillet's and put them in one giant vacuum bag. You can open the bag, take out the number of frozen fillet's you need and then vacuum and seal the bag again. Since I started this method I have seriouly reduced the amount of wasted/freezer burned fish.
    Wow..best tip of the week for me...Thanks
    Pro Wrestling is real Mr Anderson.

Ads