Wanting to buy a boat, help!
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By FearandLoathing
  • 1 Post By FearandLoathing

Thread: Wanting to buy a boat, help!

Wanting to buy a boat, help!

so I'm looking to buy a little bass tracker boat that my boss's good friend has. It's a nice little boat 2000 pro team 175 special edition! He keeps it in his garage except for the 3 months it was at my shop cause his garage caught fire. He's a straight shooter and I've know him for oh about 12 years. Well we took the boat out a few times here in the last 2 weeks. Hit lake bastrop and fishing up shallow. We both though we were in the clear when he cranked up the big motor till we were still a little shallow, we started turning up some mud. Trimmed up and gave a little throttle to get out, we did. But the motor wasn't pissing. Turned it off, back on and back to good water pressure out the back. Nothing funny or not working. We started off going to the ramp when the alarm kicked on. Shut it down and now it stays on whenever you turn the key. There is plenty of oil in the resiviour and the motor has good water pressure. It hasn't happened before, and the boat runs like a top! Has anyone ever had this problem? I'm not opposed to buying it and he said I can get it checked out before I purchase. It's a good deal so I can't just let it go. Thanks for everything fellas!

Supporting Vendor
    Key on with alarm is most likely the oil tank sending unit. Mercury offers the complete tank only and it is easy to swap out. You can disconnect the wires to the engine oil tank and turn the key on and if the alarm is absent it is the oil tank. Sounds like a good boat.
    Jeremy, BASS72 and Don E like this.

Thank you very much! Doing my research that's what I've been coming up with. Would it be a wise decision if I switch it out to switch to Lucas 2 stroke oil? He runs quicksilver? I think something along those lines. Not sure if there is a big difference or just preference. Another question is the livewell. I can turn the switch to auto and fill up the livewell. When I pull it out of the water here is water draining out the back but I haven't switched it over to empty. Is that a faulty switch? Sorry to bother ya, just new to his whole livewell situation. Last boat was just a river Jon boat. Ha

4. Remove Advertisements
    AustinBassFishing.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Vendor
    I would run Silver P. Plus oil. The livewell sounds like a flowrite valve problem.
    Don E likes this.

Sounds like a legit buy. The shop can hook up diagnostic tool to pinpoint the problem so that both he and you know the issue and cost of the fix.

Thank you very much fellas! Gary I unhooked the wires you said and the alarm stopped. Plug them back in and it's back on. I will give the shop a call and see if I can still bring it by have it checked out. Is there a way we can find out the hours on the motor?

Supporting Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by daf2 View Post
    Thank you very much fellas! Gary I unhooked the wires you said and the alarm stopped. Plug them back in and it's back on. I will give the shop a call and see if I can still bring it by have it checked out. Is there a way we can find out the hours on the motor?
    I do not think that motor has a data port. The issue is the oil tank and please give us a call. We may have the oil tank in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by daf2 View Post
    Thank you very much! Doing my research that's what I've been coming up with. Would it be a wise decision if I switch it out to switch to Lucas 2 stroke oil? He runs quicksilver? I think something along those lines. Not sure if there is a big difference or just preference. Another question is the livewell. I can turn the switch to auto and fill up the livewell. When I pull it out of the water here is water draining out the back but I haven't switched it over to empty. Is that a faulty switch? Sorry to bother ya, just new to his whole livewell situation. Last boat was just a river Jon boat. Ha

As FearandLoathing said your leak may be a valve but also could be a hose connection. Fill the livewell and check for leaks, should be an easy fix.
    Finch Nasty Bait Company Pro Staff www.finchnastybaitco.com
    Army Bass Anglers Coalition Pro Staff www.armybassanglers.com

Bullet 20XD
    225 Merc/JSRE Modified ProMax

Sponsored Links