intermittent alarm on 250 Mercury Pro XS
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?

intermittent alarm on 250 Mercury Pro XS

Thought I'd post this for any ideas or previous experiences. I have been getting an intermittent alarm for the almost a year now. Not a series of beeps or continuous. More like a chirp to just a few seconds. It's when the boat is running on a plane and very seldom when idling. It doesn't do it every time I crank up and make a run. Boat seems to run fine. Replaced all batteries thinking maybe a voltage issue. I've had it in to the dealer for the annual service and they say the engine is fine. No active alarms on my SmartCraft. I've called Mercury and they thought maybe a loose wire which I didn't find anything loose. Anyway I think the motor is fine but that thing is annoying me and shouldn't be doing that. Any ideas?

Poor battery conncection and or cables. The Pro XS really needs the juice from the battery under power. Won't happen at idle.

It sounds like an electrical issue and probably hard to track down if you don't work on boats for a living. The chirp could be for something serious and you could end up blowing your power head. My recommendation would be to take it to Tracker Marine. Tracker is honest and their prices are cheaper than most boat dealers. Gary will treat you right!

4. Remove Advertisements
    AustinBassFishing.com
    Advertisements

I think it is an electrical issue also. I have taken it to Tracker but the tech told me that the alarm did not go off while the engine was in their water tank. I think it needs a lake test but he told me they do not do that? I think I'll take it up to Texas Boat World and have them do some lake testing on it.

I took my boat to tracker yesterday and they have moved up to Georgetown BPS location FYI

Finally got around to taking my Ranger to Texas Boat World. I sure hope they can figure out what this alarm issue is.

Please report back what they find. Would be good to know.
    I2D

They should be able to find it.

Quote Originally Posted by docb View Post
    Finally got around to taking my Ranger to Texas Boat World. I sure hope they can figure out what this alarm issue is.
    Cooter (Jeremy) is pretty good. The owner Cliff is a solid guy also, just wish they were closer to Austin.

They called me today and said it was the alternator. Not sure why they couldn't figure that out here. I'm just glad it's going to be fixed.

Sponsored Links