Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need y'all's opinions....Bass Raider??

So this is my problem. I'm on a fixed military income and don't have the spare cash to blow on a badass bass boat like i want, BUT im absolutely tired of sh*tty shore fishing. I've been shopping around and I've found these Pelican Bass Raider "boats" that you can throw a trolling motor on and move around on the lake or whatever. I saw a few on craigslist that we both 8 or 10 ft and came used with a trolling motor, battery, etc, and were offered for $300-$500 depending on size and motor. Is this a decent craft?? Im just "iffy" cuz that thing makes me nervous being on a big lake and stuff. If anyone know ANYTHING about them, please post up. I need to get on the water and catch me some bass.

Go for it... anything to extend your range a little is a good thing. As long as you're smart about it, you shouldn't have any trouble. Another option to think about is a float tube. I fished a float tube for a long time before I ever had a boat, and it's a really nice relaxing way to fish. Pick a marina or a cove and tube it up!

hey 'bent... what is the range on something like a raider with a 30 or 40# trolling motor?? i mean, like, how far out could i go etc...

You can go as far as your batteries will take you.... it just depends on what size battery you have. I used to run a 12' jon boat with just a trolling motor and I could go a long way with 2 trolling motor batteries. I would run one and keep the other as a spare. Just be aware of what the wind is doing and make sure you don't get caught downwind of the launch with not enough juice. You just gotta be careful because if you don't keep good balance, a big boat wake can ruin your day. For $500, I'd probably search Craigslist for a 12-14' aluminum jon boat, get it set up with a trolling motor, and then start saving up for a 5-10hp outboard. Or you can get that float tube from Academy for about $80

Lots of jon boats on craigslist right now...

Jon Boat, 14 Foot Aluminum

Dallas CL has alot of good deals too...

I have a 10' Bass Raider and I like it a lot. Boat wakes can be a bit of a challenge but if you take them head on it's ok. I use an old 50# Minn Kota and two 24 size batteries. I can run about 3 hours continuous on high and about 7 hours continuous on the 3rd speed (which according to my GPS on a real calm day is 1.9 mph). According to what I read on the Minn Kota site probably a new motor would gain me both speed and operating time given that the newer motors show less amp draw for lbs in thrust.
    It's slower then the good kayaks and more of a pain to launch. I have a trailer I modified, and its easy to slide off for the launch but one person has a bit of a time pulling it back up on the trailer. The boat weighs about 150 lbs and I'm guessing the two batteries, trolling motor and gear make it close to 250 lbs.
    Biggest lake I was on so far was Decker on Saturday. I am sure big wind would be a big problem cause when you sit in the seat you are just a big ole sail. I had a couple of pbs throw up an wake fairly close to me and I was never worried about the thing tipping over but I could see being throw out of the seat if you weren't paying attention. I can also see a close pass by a big pb throwing a big wake causing a problem with water coming in the front of the boat. Don't think it would swamp if, but your feet would sure get wet.

I've been fishing LBL with it and that works great. That said, I'll probably never take the thing out to the middle of Travis and I'm waiting until it's colder to even try Lake Austin. Even with it's limitations, to me its a huge improvement over bank fishing.

PM me if you want to try riding in it some time.
    Pro Wrestling is real Mr Anderson.

12' Jon Boat Very Clean

Hey 'Bent... is this is good deal... i talked to him and he said he'd do a deal with me for $1,000. You think thats alright?

I don't know... I think you could do better if you keep looking. That trailer looks a little shady, and a 2.5hp will not push that boat very fast. You're paying extra because the rig is only 2 years old. I bet you could find a good older model boat with a decent trailer for around $500, then find a 5-10hp for about $500... The deals are out there, you just have to keep looking...

I'm thinking something like this:

14 Foot Jon Boat and Trailer

I'd probably try to talk him down a bit, then sell that motor and try to find a better one

There's tons of jon boats out there, so if you can't make a deal you're really happy with, another one will come along soon... Be sure they have a title for the hull.
    Last edited by CoastalBent; 09-11-2011 at 10:43 PM.

I've been in a '8 pelican with a buddy a few times. I'd think if you were gonna fish by yourself most of the time, it'd be ok, but with 2 people in there.... that thing isn't the most stable. Maybe not such a big deal in warmer weather but I'd kinda be leery about going out on that thing in cold weather. A lot of the time when you try to set the hook, that thing will feel like it's gonna flip over...

No idea about the '10 model tho...

I agree with the above statements about finding a '12-14 jon boat. I think that'd be your best deal.
    Toads for breakfast=> lunch and dinner!!!

Ads