Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
+ Reply to Thread

Changing Impeller

I was wondering if i could change it by myself, have never done it on this engine (250 vmax) and just seeing if i would need help or can i man handle it? Anyone changed one them selves on this size motor? and how much you think it weighed?

thanks,
    s

I've got a 90 Evinrude, and I think to replace mine requires removing the lower unit, which I've never done myself. I assume it is kind of tricky with the drive shaft and shift shaft connections and making sure you don't bend those or hook them up wrong...

Here's a decent video.

Last edited by J-Hooked; 04-28-2011 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Addin' Vids

Dez
    Quote Originally Posted by span57 View Post
    I was wondering if i could change it by myself, have never done it on this engine (250 vmax) and just seeing if i would need help or can i man handle it? Anyone changed one them selves on this size motor? and how much you think it weighed?

thanks,
    s
    It's do-able but I wouldn't suggest it. Call Bob Walden at 512 630-5952, he can fix you right up.

That LU could be a bit heavy so if you DYI get a bud to help. Never done it on that size motor. I've always done my own water pumps (I/O's and up to 115 hp out boards) and dropping the lower unit and replacing the impeller and/or the whole housing is pretty straight forward, and there's some good vids out there on you tube, etc. that'll get you up to speed. The tricky part for me has always been sticking the lower unit back on since I've always done it solo, and an extra pair of hands would sure help. One tip I learned the hard way long ago - ensure your shift handle is in neutral when you drop the LU off, and make sure to immediately mark the shift shaft's position on the shaft and casing with a sharpie or tape to make sure it's in the exact same position at reassembly. Also, since your likely to turn the drive shaft when replacing the impeller, wouldn't be a bad idea to mark the drive shaft too so the shaft splines will line up way up in there with the motor splines. Bottom line is that if the shift shaft splines and drive shaft splines are both in the same exact place as when you dropped the lower unit (and you haven't moved the shift handle or turned the crankshaft), it should slide right back into place fairly easily and shift properly after reassembly.

Thanks for all the input guys. I will try it myself and hope i can do it right or i will get some help if i need it.

Mercman, glad you mentioned the other things..... will have to read up on what exactly i need to do. Appreciate the tips man.

sm

Ads