Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Best Aluminum Boat?

What's the best aluminum boat? G3, Tracker, Triton, ect.... Would be fishing LA, Bastrop, Fayette, Dunlap, Travis, ect..

RO
    Quote Originally Posted by FJcruisin View Post
    What's the best aluminum boat? G3, Tracker, Triton, ect.... Would be fishing LA, Bastrop, Fayette, Dunlap, Travis, ect..
    Not sure which is "best" but I've been happy with my 18ft G3 with tunnel hull and jackplate. Good for running skinny salt, but the square front beats the tar out of you in big ways in the bay, or even in local lakes when it's windy. So no matter which brand you buy, if you value ride comfort at all, try to get a V-front or at least modified V. I've also got a 16 ft Sea Nymph (popular brand up north) that fits in the garage, and which feels more solid and rides LA during wake traffic much better than the G3, but mainly because of the V front. Other advice, unless you know how to replace rivets like Dez, consider buying all welded aluminum if you plan to keep the boat a long time. Good luck.

I second the SeaArk boats. They have the modified "V"s now that have a little more "V" to them than they used to in order to cut through the waves a little better. They have tons of configureations to choose from and you can put pretty good horse power on them. These boats are really good for general purpose.

If you are mainly going to be doing bass fishing, you might want to look at the Express boats. They actually are shaped more like a bass rig. Not sure on the price though.

Rivets or wells will need maintanance. Aluminum flexes. The welds will crack over time in rough water. Rivets work loose and have to be re-riveted.
    Last edited by TexasZX225; 04-20-2011 at 06:09 AM.

Dez
    War Eagle Boats - Boats - Tomahawk Bass Series - Coastal Tomahawk

There are several theories out there suggesting that a rivited boat is stronger and more rigid than welded. May be true, but my 79 model Starcraft aluminum V has required about 1000 rivits to be replaced. Lund is very popular up north as is Alumicraft. I rode in a war eagle bay boat a while back and the thing was awesome! Very heavy aluminum and excellect looking welds.

When I went gigging with the Nightstalker in Dec. '09, I'm pretty sure he had an Alweld boat. I was impressed by it. ...highly customized for flounder gigging, of course.

Port A. Flounder 12/5/09
    Last edited by J-Hooked; 04-20-2011 at 07:41 AM.

#1 suggestion: stay away from Tracker.

It seems like if you're gonna stay with a small motor, 60 hp and less, nearly all of the companies make a quality all-welded boat. However, once you get into the bigger stuff, there's probably one company that stands above everyone else - Xpress. War Eagle seems like a very tough boat, but they also seem to be priced 3-4K more than the other companies price similar boats.

One thing - as has already been said here - tin boats get BLOWN around by the slightest breeze and that can make pursuing some tactics/patterns a pain in the butt!
    Toads for breakfast=> lunch and dinner!!!

I'll only be doing bass fishing. I have a small garage and cannot fit anything but an aluminum rig, no more than 18 feet with a swing away tounge. 85" beam width would be ideal in a 17 foot with a 60-75HP motor.

I fish mostly in the Salt and cross some tough chop on most trips. i have owned a Tracker Grizzly Alwelded 1860 Semi-V that seemed to break a weld on every trip.

I sold it and bought an Alumacraft 1756 Tunnel Alweld Semi-V. The thickness of the hull is .100 vs .80 and the stringers are 2" vs 1.5" width. The Alumacraft has been solid with no weld breaks.

Going with any of the boats mentioned will work fine. Just pay attention to the specs on each Manufacturer and the quality of the build. Then, let your Budget be your guide.

Good luck!

RO
    When I grow up (if ever!), this is the aluminum boat I'd like to have:

Wooldridge Boats

Check out the video. Ridiculous.

Ads