Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Administrator

Leaking trim seals

I just replaced the trim seals on my '01 Yamaha HPDI 200. *It's a pretty easy DIY project. *I was thinking of writing up how to do it and include pics in case others were interested. *Let me know if anyone has leaking trim seals on your '97 model or newer Yamaha outboard and are interested in a tech "how to" on replacing the seals yourself.

Updated steps for performing this maintenance procedure is detailed below with pics.

-Rich

Re: Leaking trim seals

Rich -
    Talking about a timely post. I just replaced the water pump on my '99 Yam 115 the other day, and noticed a drop of hydraulic fluid at the bottom of the trim when reinstalling the lower unit, so, yeah, I'd be interested in whatever DIY tips you have on replacing the seals. I'm gonna google it and see what info's out there, too.

Thanks,
    Andy

Administrator

This is what I did...

Note: *Part numbers for parts 17, 18, 19, & 20 shown below and schematic of tilt/trim assembly can be found on yamahaoutboardparts.com (Click on Yamaha Outboard Parts link near top of page).

1. *Trim motor up and flip down tilt stops
    2. *Loosen tilt/trim screw to release pressure on trim rods
    3. *Use spanner wrench or small punch to loosen trim rod cap
    4. *Pull trim rod cap off
    5. *Pull trim rod out (optional: *only pull trim rod out if replacing lower trim rod seal also...I figured might as well since I had it apart)
    Note: *Use extreme caution when handling trim rod and cap. *These parts ding/dent very easy. *Do not use pliers or vise grips! *The smallest imperfection can cause them to leak down or damage threads on trim housing. *If you have difficulty pulling trim rod out by hand use a piece or rubber hose slipped over the end of the trim rod.
    6. *Use small pick to remove top dust seal from trim rod cap.
    Note: *Observation orientation of seal lips/grooves/spacers/etc before removing seals so you know how the new seals should be installed. *Also, be sure to use some of the trim oil to lube the new seals before installing them.

7. *Use pick to remove inner seal from rod cap.

8. *Replace the dust seal and inner seal with new seal.
    9. *Remove and replace outer o-ring seal near threads on trim rod cap.

10. *Remove and replace o-ring seal on trim rod.
    Note: *If your trim rod has a plastic spacer, be sure to observe whether the o-ring is above or below the space. *My o-ring was below the spacer if the trim rod was oriented upright.

11. *Gently reinsert trim rod and rod cap. *Be sure to avoid cross threading the rod cap.
    12. *Tighten rod cap until firmly tight. You'll feel when it goes from tightening to firmly tight.
    13. *Unscrew cap on trim fluid reservoir. *Fill with proper trim fluid (ATF Dexcon II in my case) until fluid is at bottom on trim fluid fill spout.
    14. *Lift motor by hand and flip up tilt stops. *Lower motor to resting position. *Note: *The larger outboards are HEAVY. *I recommend one person to flip the trim stops up while the other carefully lowers the motor.
    15. *Tighten trim release valve screw on side of trim housing. *
    16. *Push trim switch up to trim up motor. *Hold until motor sounds like it's starting to suck air or starve for trim fluid.
    17. *Raise motor by hand to rest on flip down tilt stops.
    18. *Add more trim fluid.
    19. *Repeat 14 - 18 until trim operates properly in complete up and down cycles.
    20. *Take satisfaction in doing this repair yourself.

-Rich

20. Take satisfaction in doing this repair yourself....and not spending a fortune having someone else do it!

Good article Rich.

Administrator

great report Rich.

A new TTU costs approx 3k for Yamaha
    Used prices varies- I ended up replacing my trim unit over a year ago due to this same issue- Unfortunately mine went out on me during the FOM in LA in Feb so we had to get into the water and manually lift teh motor.

The purging of the ATF will require at least 2 peeps- though we raised and lowered my motor by hand which was a &*^%&*%.

We found a trim unit at a good price and repalced it (though we went through 2 used bad ones to find a good used unit :-/.

Hydraulics are pretty straight forward in terms of operation.. it's either gonna work or not ;D.

If anybody needs help with fixing a leak in their Sea Star Power steering (cylinder) and purging of air, just holler as we completed that fix this week .

No sig needed.....

Administrator

Good to know...haven't had to cross that bridge yet...I'm sure I will at some point.

FYI...came across this site for buying good used parts for the more expensive items...I've never bought anything from them but will definitely keep them in mind.

http://www.marinepartsoutlet.com/index.htm

-Rich

Administrator

Good write-up Rich!

For #3 above, you can also use a pair of angled needle nose pliers to unscrew the rod caps.

Also of note, on my Merc, simply tightening the rod caps fixed my leak (for now).

Administrator

FishGod, great points. Hopefully this thread will be of use to others on the forum.

Thanks for the post, Rich. Very good info!

Administrator

A few additional tips...

1) Use O-Ring pliers with 45 or 90 degree tips to loosen trim rod cap. Save yourself big bucks by not having to buy the special yamaha spanner wrench.

2) Have drip pan under trim rods when you pull them out.

3) Use large syringe with 5" of small tube extension to remove all accessible trim fluid from fill reservoir and trim rod tubes.

4) Before reinstalling trim rods, pour fresh Dexcon III (Auto Trans Fluid) in trim rod tubes until they are each half full. You'll notice the fluid automatically fills both tubes when you pour it in one.

5) Insert trim rod tubes until you begin pushing fluid into top section of rod tubes. Fill remaining rod tubes with fluid until just below trim rod cap threads. Install trim rod caps and tighten.

6) Fill trim fluid reservoir using syringe until fluid is leaking out. Put fill cap on reservoir. Lower motor by hand with manual release screw out all the way. Raise motor by hand. Slowly open trim fluid fill cap. You'll hear air escaping as you open it. Remove fill cap. Repeat this step manually lowering, raising, filling fluid until all air is removed and fluid begins dripping out of fill cap as soon as you remove it.

7) Once fill/bleeding procedure is complete. Lower motor by hand. Tighten manual release screw on side of motor. Use trim switch to raise motor. Be careful to avoid running trim motor if outboard motor is not actually going up or down. If it sounds like it's free spinning or like a blender churning air, stop running the trim motor. It can overheat quickly and burn up the trim motor if you're not careful. Run the motor up and down several times, listening to the spots where you may have air in the lines. The air should settle over time with use.

Ads