Fayette 5/17/17
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?

Thread: Fayette 5/17/17

Fayette 5/17/17

In the last week I've fished Fayette a few times going out solo. Last week, 23 bass. Nice quality fish in and around the three pound range, all caught on T/R plastic in 8 to 12 FOW.
    Yesterday a complete game changer. I could not find a decent plastic bite. I did manage to put 42 bass in the boat and 40 of these were caught using a top water bait. I had two in the light three pound range, but the other forty were nice 2 to 2-1/2 pound chunks crushing that top water bait. That in itself made this trip worth it. Guess I'll be going through this top water fishing thing for several more weeks that follow. Once I get on this kick, it's hard to stop. But I'll get burned out on it here before long and go back to plastic again. But I sure am going to enjoy it while I can. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by fishytx View Post
    In the last week I've fished Fayette a few times going out solo. Last week, 23 bass. Nice quality fish in and around the three pound range, all caught on T/R plastic in 8 to 12 FOW.
    Yesterday a complete game changer. I could not find a decent plastic bite. I did manage to put 42 bass in the boat and 40 of these were caught using a top water bait. I had two in the light three pound range, but the other forty were nice 2 to 2-1/2 pound chunks crushing that top water bait. That in itself made this trip worth it. Guess I'll be going through this top water fishing thing for several more weeks that follow. Once I get on this kick, it's hard to stop. But I'll get burned out on it here before long and go back to plastic again. But I sure am going to enjoy it while I can. LOL
    I haven't caught 40 bass on top water in 40 years. You need to go to Bastrop and put your top water fishing expertise to work over there. Bastrop SHOULD be heaven for that tactic but I can't catch diddly on poppers, frogs or anything else on top. I guess I am going to have to break the piggy bank and buy some Yellow Magics.

I am thinking about going to Bastrop next. And yes, the top water bite on this 8lake is awesome as well. In fact, there is a lot more areas to work a top water. Not so.much a shore line bite but all around the edge of grass lines.
    Speaking of top water baits. I'm not 100% sure the make of a bait is what creates a strike on these. It's just an artificial bait and it's all about the way it is worked that triggers a strike. That's what I think anyway. Color of bait and skirt makse a difference.

Sponsored Links