Bass Fishing Forum banner

Bastrop Sucks!

3K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  fishytx 
#1 ·
Sucks because it causes torn thumbs, bait restocking, aching joints, drains the TM batts and we couldn't make it to 100. :bigdeal:

I took a vaca day because of the forecast of cloud cover and wind which are perfect conditions for the 'trop. Only 5 boats all day. Water temps were a surprising 74-76 which is the same temps as GT which we have been fishing and catching exclusively since January.

Each of our very first casts produced a typical 16-17" Bastrop bass. By 9:30a, we had already boated 30. It never slowed down. Ended up with 83 shad-barfers boated (44 - me, 39 - buddy) most were, let's estimate 60, 2-3lbs and a couple of 4lbs+ with the biggest at 4.27. Missed plenty of short strikes. 95% were caught on SBs and the rest on softs. All day in the grass, outside of grass, no grass, 1-9ft depth, windy shorelines, calm waters, reeds, no reeds, channels, flats, you name it. They were chewing. Three of my spinnerbaits were destroyed and another seriously injured. More discarded metal and living rubber in the bottom of the boat than plastics. I took six rods, used two.

Best day for numbers ever for us and we have been fishing it since Boy Scouts in the late 60's early 70s. We have had better numbers during schoolie time but never the numbers pounding shorelines. A blast!

But lets be real, it won't go the same next time out.

See less See more
#13 ·
Fished yesterday for Mother's day. (hey, mama wanted to go fishing!) We were in kayaks and also had a tougher time finding the fish compared to last week. Managed to scratch out a few with the crankbait along the grass and also weightless fluke in the discharge. I did notice that they are putting water into the lake via the pipe close to the end of the hot water cove, so hopefully it will be up to the normal level soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.