Bastrop, again - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Bastrop, again

you guys are studs going in that wind...i wouldnt go if it was 14mph or higher...
    michang5 likes this.

I sill haven't figured out how a bass can hit a crank bait and not get hooked. When I feel one hit it with no fish on the other end, I'm like how did it escape both treble hooks? I would like to see it on film. They must hit the top side with their mouth closed. It doesn't happen much but when it does I'm still shocked.

Quote Originally Posted by fishytx View Post
    I sill haven't figured out how a bass can hit a crank bait and not get hooked. When I feel one hit it with no fish on the other end, I'm like how did it escape both treble hooks? I would like to see it on film. They must hit the top side with their mouth closed. It doesn't happen much but when it does I'm still shocked.
    I caught 2 fish this past week with the hooks embedded along the topside of their body nowhere near the mouth. They hit the jerkbait funny or I swiped it into them. Either way, there's something to be said about thin gauge sticky sharp hooks that most guys scoff at (because they'll bend out if you lock your drag and don't play the fish). I fish the thinnest, stickiest hooks I can get away with because that equates to less pressure to drive that point past the barb.

4. Remove Advertisements
    AustinBassFishing.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by fishytx View Post
    Hahaha I wonder about the exact same thing. I catch everything INSIDE the boat with those things, my net, carpet, any fishing line including the one its attached to, anchor rope, towels. I even smacked a beer can in the boat on accident with one and it hooked THAT, but somehow a fish can get off...?

It amazes me how a bass can spit a lure out also but apparently, it happens all of the time. I know I had at least 7 fish hit my crank bait last Saturday and escaped. I think that there are times when bass zip past a lure and snag it with their body, and zip off. We all know that bass bite lures but somehow don't get hooked. Bill Dance shows a video on his show of a bass inhaling a lure and spitting it right back out. I tried to find it online but was unsuccessful.

And yes MattATX, treble hooks sure as !@&% catch on everything else, especially me!

I want to get a couple of these for the tackle box.

file_166751_0_backstabber.jpg

Those backstabbers(squarebill type) have some questionable reviews via tacklewarehouse. The lipless however seems pretty good. Never used one myself so take it with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Texasfisherman57 View Post
    Fished by myself today from 9:00M until 3:00pm. Same ole same. Fished small Academy H20 crank bait around eel grass. Caught 22 but somehow managed to miss 15 others. You know; fish flashes at bait, misses, then disappears. Apparently some of those bass need glasses!
    Shoot me a PM so you dont have to fishing alone. I live in the area

I went back out yesterday from 4:00 - 9:30pm. Some days you're the window. Unfortunately I was the bug. I lost SIX fish on jumps. SIX!

Boated 10. Best five totaled a paltry 82.25".

Went exploring to start. Wind was tough for the first few hours. Found them pitching a Sweet Beaver to standing timber and casting senkos to rocky banks. I didn't even pull into my favorite flat until 7:30. The highlight was catching my first ever spinnerbait fish (and 2 more after).
    Jeremy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by just plain bill View Post
    you guys are studs going in that wind...i wouldnt go if it was 14mph or higher...
    This! And I'm jonesing for some fishing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links