LPf 3/19/17 Tropfy Hunter Baits
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Like Tree12Likes
  • 4 Post By Jeremy
  • 1 Post By Jeremy
  • 1 Post By just plain bill
  • 4 Post By Chrismaxrocks
  • 2 Post By Jeremy

Thread: LPf 3/19/17 Tropfy Hunter Baits

LPf 3/19/17 Tropfy Hunter Baits

I was on the water early and made my way across. I wacked 'em pretty good yesterday at my primary spot, so I was going switch it up and start at the main lake point. As I pushed into the stout coastal wind, I abandoned the point plan and went for the lee shore.

If I was going to throw top, it was now. I cast the loon Whopper Plopper into the shallows a dozen times. No fish but listening to the gurgle in the dark was nice. I holstered the topwater rod and pitched a TR Zoom green pumpkin BBH at pondweed in 2 FOW and got one. Pre-dawn bites portend awesome days.

From there, I junked fished mostly from anchor due to the wind. I had six rods, but I concentrated mainly on buzzing the shallows with the Kraken SP1 and pitching ditches with the BBH which were both producers. I caught some fun fish.

The bite left me so I went looking for it. I got a couple out deeper on two different lipless, a transluscent H20 Xpress that I'd found in the lake and a yellow Rat-l-trap. I let the wind blow me across to the main lake point and I anchored up.

I cranked the squarebill and slow-rolled the spinner and I got some hit and miss. White-caps were rolling by. I picked up my swimbait rod. I pulled off the swimbait and thought about it. Ribbon tail came to mind. I love the Ol Monster, but GrandeBass got the call.

I got a Shimano Curado 200HG spooled with 15# Seagur InvizX on a 6'10" MH Field & Stream Tec*Spec Black. I wish I had five more like this. I used a green Eagle Claw quarter-ounce tungsten worm weight, chartreuse BPS 10mm plastic bead and four-ought Gamakatsu EWG thin-wire hook.

I weedless rigged a green pumpkin 8" Megatail Rattlesnake and flung it upwind towards a three-way break. The sun was up, the water was green and the air was warm. And then my rod was bent. I got three in a row, two strong buck bass and the big momma good'un. I released her and then went in to get lunch.
    IMG_20170319_071941172.jpg
    IMG_20170319_105838949.jpg

Great catch Jermey. Waiting for the pontoon to get in so I can finally get in the middle of the lake. Bank fishing LPf is tough. See you out there soon!
    TexasPFishing

there is no bank fishing at pf. believe me. i know. and have suffered immeasurably. lol.

4. Remove Advertisements
    AustinBassFishing.com
    Advertisements

Haha right there with you... Loads of time wasted on the bank for sure.
    TexasPFishing

It's so bad I've sorta given up on pf...been driving to jones bros instead...I DO stop at pf and feed the ducks later...

I thought I'd try anyway. It was calm and foggy this morning. I started off with a buzzbait because fish were jumping everwhere! Then I tried a Chug-bug and Tiny-Torpedo but not the Whopper Plopper. I switched to a spinnerbait.

I missed six strikes on the spinnerbait. Ouch. I rummaged around for a trailer hook and eventually found one, but by then they didn't want the Kraken SP1 anymore. Then the wind came up and blew the fog out. I picked up some fish here and there.

The harder the wind blew the better the bite got. Mid-morning, I got a good'un on 1/2 oz Bill Lewis Rat-l-trap. Then I went home to pull weeds.
    IMG_20170326_092234890.jpg
    Chrismaxrocks likes this.

Next month im taking my boat in...THEN you'll see some astounding reports!!!! I mean it this time!!!!!!!
    Jeremy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by just plain bill View Post
    It's so bad I've sorta given up on pf...been driving to jones bros instead...I DO stop at pf and feed the ducks later...
    My best luck from the bank at LP is just north or just south of the dam and on the north shore just as you are getting into the reeds. From looking at overheads, that particular area gets shallower the further you go northwest, but I'm not sure. I've heard others say they have good luck on the piers on the south bank, but I've never gotten lucky there.

Jeremy from April 2015...as he would say "a good 'un!"
    DSC03844 2.jpg

Thanks Chris! I've been working late all week and missing fishing. I sure look happy in the pic.

I hope you're catching them good!
    Chrismaxrocks and fisherman like this.

Sponsored Links