Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: We like to fish, not boat

I just wanted you to understand why I post reports. I do it to help out others, I don't do it for bragging rights. Most anglers tear em up on Fayette, it's a fun go to lake. Bragging rights are when you load up on some nice fish during a tournament or on the hill country lakes where bites are some what hard to come by. Fayette doen't count.........

Y'all can trust Doug's numbers. I've fished with him enough to tell they are legitimate.

I think Doug needs to take me to fayette, so I can confirm these numbers, lol.

I`m going to piss Doug off . I fished Fayette County before...I mean before it was opened before Sept. 5th 1979. My buddy and I jumped the fence with inner tubes waders and paddles on our shoes. We caught probably 20 fish between each other that day. It was one hell of an experience. Then when they opened the lake we were in line with probably 40 trucks and boats down the county road that lead to the park prairie to unload and fish. Buddy`s of mine some still living and some not, took their boat`s out while the lake was still closed found a place to unload. Their were probaby from what I understand 10 boats on Fayette before it was opened. The Parks and wildlife could not do anything to them, but the L.C.R.A. pressed charges and the all went before the Judge in Fayette and had to bail each other out. My buddy Doug who has now passed away said it was a hell of a sight. Seeing all those boats lined up at the court house. While my friend and I got out of the lake after catching fish we got stopped by a game warden. He said the fish were legal and the only people that can press charges are the L.C.R.A. for trespassing and let us go. My whole point is I have fished fayette on good days and bad. Anyone who can catch 40, 50, 60, fish in a day needs to be a guide and quit you day job. I have been fishing since I was 16. I`m 54 and wife have never caught over 28 fish on Fayette on our best day`s. I must have missed something. Doug .Wife and I will pay you to put on no less that 30, 40, 50, Hell why not a hundred that I have read about. Name the price. I`m with you Erialovestofish...........

RO
    We fished Fayette during the "glory days" in the early 80s nearly every weekend for about 5 years in a row. My dad would pick me up from school at noon every Friday and we'd head down and fish till dark Sunday evening. We had many 60-80 fish days. esp. during October-December. 30-40 fish days were the norm. I had to go away for training from 1990-2004, and fished mostly Ray Roberts near Dallas. Never had those numbers up there, but some good fish, not because I all the sudden sucked ass, but because Fayette was (and is) a special lake. The only lake that performed close to Fayette for me was Squaw Creek, which was closed after 9/11/01, but may be open again. Due to many factors, I have only been to Fayette twice since being back in Austin since 2004. Both times we caught 15-20 fish in a few hours. The grass (hydrilla) is not as prolific as it used to be, esp. on main lake points, so I have had better luck in the timber. But Doug's reports seem perfectly reasonable to me, given that he fishes the lake regularly. I hope you all can put in the time and get to know the lake and catch numbers like you would like.
    Last edited by RO; 11-20-2011 at 06:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bassn View Post
    I`m going to piss Doug off . I fished Fayette County before...I mean before it was opened before Sept. 5th 1979. My buddy and I jumped the fence with inner tubes waders and paddles on our shoes. We caught probably 20 fish between each other that day. It was one hell of an experience. Then when they opened the lake we were in line with probably 40 trucks and boats down the county road that lead to the park prairie to unload and fish. .
    That doesn't piss me off, in fact I find this quit comical and I'm sitting here trying to figure out who in hell you are. Because I too jumped the fence and fished out of an inner tube on many occasion. I was also in that line to be the first on the lake when it opened up to the public, and I made it inside and caught the heck out the fish, which back then were true Florida Hybrid Blacks that looked like little bull dogs. Short, Fat, and would brake a line in a heart beat due to their over whelming strength. I was a boilermaker and built unit 1 & 2 from the ground up. You and I may just know each other.
    Last edited by fishytx; 11-20-2011 at 09:58 PM.
    RO likes this.

Doug, your reports are $$$$! I appreciate them as well as many others do. I don't usually get into 50+ fish days just because it's hard to cover water in a kayak....but I can usually get into 20-30 fish days with some solid fish! Thanks for your info and everything you contribute!
    RO and basstrack like this.

Did you guys try any buzz baits along the edge of the timber while it still had all of that green foliage on it? Five pounders would shoot out and tear those things up, and then you just hung on for the ride. I use to love to fish that tank with the willow trees along the tank dam too We pulled some monsters out of there.
    Last edited by fishytx; 11-20-2011 at 10:42 PM.
    bassn likes this.

I think I know your buddy Doug too. He was hit by a piece of iron that fell from the top if it's the same guy I know. Doug Roberts I think.

Folks, we are talking about when this lake had nothing but five pound bass in it as small bass. They had no clue what an artificial bait was, and they hit just about anything and everything that moved. We were catching 24 inch bass like there was no tomorrow. That was the best fishing ever.
    RO, basstrack and bassn like this.

Ads