San Gaberial River. (Steps) - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: San Gaberial River. (Steps)

A good rise will bring up some feeding fish for sure. As far as the spawn goes, it's still early for that. But it's coming. Murky water always brings the fish out of the deeper holes and up into the shallow water where we all like to catch these fish is all. It also helps those still in the lake to find their way up into the river, so any rise from now till April is a good thing.
    Weatherman likes this.

Was thinking about checking it out tomorrow. I'm sure it can get more crowded as the weekend approaches. From what I've heard it can get pretty insane there when the run is officially on...

Was there Monday afternoon, 18 cars, but not too crowded on the water. Nothing on the fly, saw some scrawny stringers of mixed white, crappie and sunfish, heard reports of limits of small males. Based on the stringers I saw, run hadn't started yet. Water was beautiful though, running full and strong, just the right clarity. Hoping to get a few hours in in the morning to see if this warm weather has gotten them moving.
    Weatherman likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    AustinBassFishing.com
    Advertisements

For the most, this place doesn't get to bad. Every now and then you might run into some folks doing stupid crap that might get under your skin, but you just move on and keep fishing. You can't allow a few goof balls to ruin your day. I get more upset at the trash left behind from others more than anything. I've only been there twice and I've hauled out some nasty beer bottles left behind. I don't understand people who can trash out a nice place and never blink an eye while doing so. This gets to me more than one will ever know.
    Weatherman and fisherman like this.

Really wanting to fish the san gabriel this weekend. I have a basstender 11.3 and was wondering if anyone knows any spots that I'd be able to put in at? I appreciate any help that yall can provide.

There is a primitive boat launch further down CR 347 past the steps a half mile or so which is right at the top of Granger Lake where the river meets, it's a little steep and slick at times and then you can work your way downstream to hopefully find the whites.

Speaking of witch, I talked to a few anglers a few days a go and they told me the ramp there was closed. Said they were working on it. So with out checking this out myself, I'm not real sure it's open right now. I guess I should have driven down there and looked at that today while I was there. Here again, beautiful day and I had to go wet a line. Fished from noon till 2 checking even more of the river area out, still trying to find these guys in numbers. Ended my day with four whites and one crappie. Catch N Release for me, just out enjoying a small rod pull is all. I did hook a guy up with a hot spot though, only because I couldn't get to it is why I told him about it. LOL He caught six nice size crappie in no time. The best part was the fact that he did thank me for the tip when I walked back that way and watched him fish for a little while.
    Last edited by fishytx; 02-11-2017 at 09:34 PM.

I looked at the basstenders, it may be a tad bit heavy to drag down the primitive ramp. All the ones I looked at were on a trailer.

About the steps - I was just wondering if it compared in size (as far as available bank space) to the primitive boat launch area? I went to the primitive launch area a few times last year and thought it had a pretty good stretch of fishable bank.

The launch area is where the lake backs up into the river and it's much wider. The river area at the steps really isn't all that wide, it looks more like a creek, small creek at that. In some places I can cast a 1/32oz jig to the other side of the river. You can pitch a rock under handed to the other side with little effort if that helps describe it better. If you saw the place then you would understand why it can get crowed at times. It's where most are catching fish that gets crowed quick. I do my best to sneak off and catch fish in other areas where there isn't so many people. I may have to work at it a little more, but well worth it in the end.
    Weatherman likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links