San Gaberial River. (Steps) - Page 14
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: San Gaberial River. (Steps)

Big sandy creek am guessing

How do you guys fish usually fish minnows in the current out there (at the Steps)? I assume they're releasing water from lake Georgetown.

Jones bros park is in jonestown off 1431, so that oughta be travis...sandy is upstream, I believe...

4. Remove Advertisements
    AustinBassFishing.com
    Advertisements

I went out to the steps with my son on Wednesday and didn't have a clue what I was doing. We caught nothing but did catch some tips from people with full strings.

I went back yesterday with clothes that didn't mind wading through waist deep water and caught a couple whites on minnows and a few small catfish. I've never gone for whites before and in the fast moving water, I was having problems figuring out hits from my sinker dragging on the bottom. I'm going to try to get out there this weekend again. The water felt nice and it's a beautiful spot to fish, even when I wasn't catching anything...(that being said, people are really bad about leaving their trash out there...I'll probably bring some bags next time to get rid of some trash)

If I don't make it out the the steps, I'll probably hit Jones Bros.

I tied an egg sinker and a minnow on a hook. The current kind of forced my line towards the bank, so there was a lot of recasting to keep it in the middle.

Fishing minnows off bottom. Throwing into current and let it drift back on bottom while slowly retrieving. I have been using a 1/16 ot 1/8 jighead and then place minnow on it.

I was going this afternoon, but time got the best of me. Wife was cooking dinner, kind a hard to bail on that. Any how, I might give it a go in the morning and see how that bite is. I haven't been early, maybe 11am has been the earliest time I've arrived so far. But I'm over due to catch a few.

Weatherman,99.9% of the time I throw a 1/32oz. white crappie jig. It does require ultra-light fishing gear with four or six pound test line though. Anything bigger than that makes it very difficult to cast. But this set up has worked for me as long as I can remember, so I see no reason to change. But I'm also an artificial bait type fishing guy which is why that's all I ever use. In fact, I enjoy tricking fish into striking something that isn't real or alive. It's all about presentation.
    Jeremy and kaloz like this.

Thanks for the info guys. I was out there Sunday morning and didn't see a lot of fish being caught. I don't know if it's usually like this each Spring, but seems really streaky this year from the comments in forum.

I too think the fishing activity and their behavior has changed in the past four years. I also think our crazy weather plays a big role in this. Fish are confused or sure seems that way to me. But I've noticed a change in this sport of fishing every since that real bad summer drought we had, followed by another hot one the year after that. I black bass fish all year around and it is in this sport that I first noticed the change. But all we can do is go out and try to catch a few.
    Jrc likes this.

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Sponsored Links