Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Couple of carp from Brushy Creek Lake Park

Couple of carp from Brushy Creek Lake Park

Caught These two carp at Brushy last Monday. One 5 lbs and one 9 lbs on sweet dough bait. Lost a huge one towards the end of the day, pulled out about 50 feet of line then spit the hook. 9 lb. carp 11-14-11.jpgWas not the most productive day on the bank but was still fun.5 lb. carp 11-14-11.jpgElliott with Carp.jpgAnother picture from last Monday.
    Last edited by jugger; 11-19-2011 at 06:40 AM.

Nice looking carp.

Russ

CL
    Nothing wrong with catching a few suckers. Did you clean em up?

Nope, always catch and release... must have caught a 100 or so out there in the last couple of years would not be suprised if some were caught more than once.

there are some big carp in there! those bad boys will fight to the end! sounds fun!

This sounds awesome, always wanted to try my luck at carp fishing.

What kind of rig did you should I use a catfish style rig and fish dough baits off the bottom?
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do

Yep, for the bait I mix about 75% flour and 25% corn meal and wet it down with a can of Big Red soda. Mix it a little bit thicker than the consitency of peanut butter and keep it cold!! What use for the rig is very similar to a corolina rig but I use a red treble hook at the end. Fish it off the bottom about 30 feet from the bank. It usually takes about 2 hours for them to really get the scent and start coming around so a cool one or two helps out in the meantime. The bait comes off if you move it so let it set. I put out about 3 to 4 poles with a bell at the tip to indicate strikes (cant afford the electronic beepers) but whatever works rite? I do check them quite often but if you think about it it chums the area pretty good. Lately they lightly tap the bait but if you see the rod tip continuously moving thats a pretty good indication that they are on there. Dont set the hook just start reeling and dont let up! hope this helps out.
    voodoosdaddy likes this.

wow thanks a lot! Never caught a carp before and will give it a try in the next few weeks, sounds really interesting and I have heard they fight harder than anything else around here!
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do

Yeah, they are fun. Ive never caught one the really big ones but maybe one day. All the carp I've caught out there have been between 5 and 12 lbs. but they still pull the drag.

thread hijack!

there is a proper way to hold a carp, and this is it...

not by the lip with a pair of pliers or with your hands up the gills. it takes a carp several years to grow into trophy size and tearing them up doesnt help. also, google "hair rig", its a much more effective way to hook a carp and its less dangrous. when you break a treble off in a carps tiny mouth it'll sew the lips shut and the fish will die of starvation.

sorry if i sound like an asshole, but i am! and i love my carp, so show 'em a little respect!

and in an attempt to make you feel "not so angry with me" after reading my post, ide like to say great job on your awesome catches, keep it up! carp is the worlds #1 sport fish. i dont know what the big deal is over these little green trash fish over here? you should check out www.carpanglersgroup.com or www.wildcarpcompanies.com for more resources. there are others like www.americancarpsociety.com as well. there are several tournaments for carp here in texas put on by these organizations. there's a t on fork coming up soon with a $10,000 pay out, you should check it out! WCC just had a t here last weekend and the ATC put on by CAG is coming up in a few months here in austin. CAG is also working with TPWD on a grasser t on purtis creek soon.

you obviously kow how to catch 'em so your off to a good start, but there is strict rules on fish handling. fine mesh nets, padded landing mats, types of rigs, ect... you should look into those sites if you really like catching carp?

and i already know what the rest of you guys are gonna say so just shut up!
    austinjohn likes this.

Ads