Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
+ Reply to Thread

Brushy Creek (ball fields) 7/4/11 fail.

Thought I'd post up a report on my unsuccessful outing to Brushy Creek. Maybe someone can offer up some pointers, tell me I did it wrong, or laugh at my being skunked! Got to the ball fields about 6:30 (late) and started at the portion of the bank right at the end of the pathway that leads between the soccer field and the baseball field. Started with some topwater, a puppy, a popper and a stickbait just because of all the activity on the top. No luck. Switched to a baby rattlesnake and a soft craw (both watermelonseed) and only one little bite on the craw. We moved down further (away from bridge) and found a lot of good spots with overhanging trees on the opposite side to cast under and a lot of good structure... but still no luck. Walked all the way down to where it gets so shallow you can watch the perch and decided to head back the other way. We went past the bridge and through some REALLY rough stuff and found no good spots. There were a lot of people there, so we went back to where we started and worked our way to the bridge, throwing EVERYTHING..soft baits, crankbaits, spinners, roostertails, kreaturebaits, poppers, even things that have never even seen a bite (TV infomercial special "flying lure" from yeeears ago). There were lots of baitfish schooling and running from *something big* and a lot of jumpers and general activity, but my brother and I totalled about 4 good bites from 6:30 until 2:00. I did find some Senkos and a pole someone left behind with a busted reel, so I guess it wasn't a TOTAL loss. Going back to Red Bud this weekend unless something else looks promising.

Don't get discouraged, brushy creek is nice for convenience but not a great place to catch typically. Better with a yak to hit less trodden areas of the lake in my opinion. That said, I usually get a bite or two with a weightless senko by the ballfields when I take the dog there and case for 20 minutes. Pretty soon the slime grass won't allow many baits to be thrown over there though.

I hung around the Parmer bridge alot and a little bit along that shore line, but I'm going to venture down the creek more as there looks to be a good path down that way. I made some rod holders for my bike, so getting around the trail shouldn't be a problem, hopefully there will be some better fishing. There's definitely some lurkers down there...

gets real shallow real quick going down the creek

Quote Originally Posted by phisherman View Post
    gets real shallow real quick going down the creek
    Pretty much the same going West or East of BCP. The best option is a yak which will give access to the south side and water that gets little pressure.

Hit up brushy ball field side this morning got there at 7:30 fished till 10:00 caught 4 fish all together biggest going 3lbs all fish were caught on a white swim bait...when I got there fish were busting the shad all over the place on the first cast hooked up with one that got off casted again hooked up with my biggest faught pretty good for a 3 moved down towards the bridge caught another where all the stumps are she only ran 2.07 after that it was all dinks...saw some massive ones up in the back off the creek running in packs of like 5 the biggest one I saw had to be atleat 7 or 8 most of the fish were in the range of 4 to 6 pounds but none of them wanting anything to do with me every cast I made they went the opposite way!!!!! Anyways had a good day I'm try to get out earlyer next time... good fishin guys

You see, those are the kind of reports that got me out there in the first place! Maybe it was an off day, or I forgot my deodorant. I'll wear me lucky shirt next time, maybe I'll have better luck.

Ads